timers- why don't you have one

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
like the subject says, why not. I'm an electrician by trade & I know that automatic on/off is alot easier than "oh crap, I forgot to turn the lights off". Timers are cheap, they help regulate your dragons lighting scedule.

The reason I'm posting this is that I read about people having to turn the lights on & off, if you use a timer your animals are on a regular sched., 1 less thing for you to worry about. My timer is set to turn on @ 7:15 am, fresh greens are put in before the lights are on, 2 hours later it's live feeder time. Lights go out @ 7:15 pm, so by 5:00 all bath's, meds, & live feeding's are done, greens are out by 6:00

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I love my timer - an $8 investment is well worth not having to worry about turning Randal's lights on and off at the same time every day. Her lights currently come on at 6:00 a.m. and shut off at 8:00 p.m. (I haven't moved them forward yet to accommodate our change from daylight savings time). Plus, when I'm away for a couple of days I can leave her and know her schedule will be the same (minus feedings that is, but I only leave her for a day or two, and she's an adult)

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
neecie":5cbf0 said:
Very organized. Do you have live feeding once or twice? Tanx
my little one, Belle, is only 4 month old. She get roaches 3 times a day. The adults are brumating now, so they're not eating. But when they are, they get live feeders 2-3 times a week. Fresh greens every day for everyone

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
We have a timer, actually two of them.. One of them is on Esham's cage, and the other is in the closet? Heck, I don't know where it is. Esham is 'Robert's Pet', my fiance, and he insists on having it there.. The snake and beardie don't have timers, but I enjoy telling them good morning and good night. Mitch just loves it when I talk to him, and I think Blazey needs the extra interaction time anyways. Even if I don't have time to take her out for handling, at least I can talk to her, and she responds to me..

So, I think a timer would take away from me 'tucking her in' in the evenings and our 'good morning' in the morning!

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
I'm apparently a sucker. I just paid $30 to the petstore for my timer. I'm handiwoman handicapped and thought this was my only option.

Is your $8 large enough to plug everything into? The one I have has 2 spots for daytime plugs, 2 for night and 4 for all day. Granted I only use the 2 for daytime, but the option is there for other "all day" plugs if I run out of room. I will NOT be telling hubby about this over-expenditure until I get it figured out. :banghead:

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
These are what we have. I can't remember how much they were, and I couldn't find anything online.. but they are cheap. There is only one plug-in, though. I am sure there are similar products with more than one plug-in.

PIC-0023.jpg

PIC-0024.jpg

I know the strip you are talking about. The SO wanted one of them, but I argued. I can see how they will be very handy, and I may get one for when we go on vacation (we have people to feed her).

This is the one I have seen, and our local petco has them for over $40, but this is a decent price. 6 outlets and two different timers, I think its reasonable for $22.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/power-strips-timers/504020/coralife-power-center-day-night-or-wave-maker-.html

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
We have one like the one you linked to at petmountain. That one is $40 at Petsmart. You have to click the little tabs right or left to signify day and night times. It's a little hard, and a little difficult to get exactly at the time you want. I think that one comes on at 8:07ish am and goes off a little after 9pm. The one I bought for the new baby Thursday night is digital and was actually $10 cheaper. I'm able to get exact times, but it was still $30. I'm going to look into the type you mentioned and see what I find. Thank you for posting.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
ArchiesFamily":c6ff2 said:
We have one like the one you linked to at petmountain. That one is $40 at Petsmart. You have to click the little tabs right or left to signify day and night times. It's a little hard, and a little difficult to get exactly at the time you want. I think that one comes on at 8:07ish am and goes off a little after 9pm. The one I bought for the new baby Thursday night is digital and was actually $10 cheaper. I'm able to get exact times, but it was still $30. I'm going to look into the type you mentioned and see what I find. Thank you for posting.

Huh.. Digital? If you have a link to one like that, I would love to see it. We have a petco nearby (sort of), but once in a while, when we go into Tulsa, we stop at Petsmart. Maybe I can check there. I know the fiance would want a digital one, since he hates the clicky-type that we have.. We go out of town a lot, but we haven't left town a single time since we got the beardie. We will need one eventually.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I found one on ebay for $29.99 . I don't know what the policy is here about ebay links being posted. If you want the link I'll PM it to you, just in case :)

redline

i went and got a flash timer for bundy so his lights would turn off and his heat lamp on and then at another time his heat lamp would go off then his lights on again but i have not been able to get them to work, my brainy uncle who is a technician couldnt even get it to work so now i turn them on and off when needed, god i would love a local that knows what to do could help me lol

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I don't have one because my weeks are different from my weekends. Sooo Lindy's on MY TIME. :)

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I have a couple of digital ones. They have backup batteries and adjust for daylight savings. These things rock. We lost power one night in the middle of the night. It was out long enought that all of the clocks were off. But, these were on time and on when they should have been.
I used to have the manual ones but, the ticking drove me nuts.

Ernie

LQDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
redline":5ed4c said:
i went and got a flash timer for bundy so his lights would turn off and his heat lamp on and then at another time his heat lamp would go off then his lights on again but i have not been able to get them to work, my brainy uncle who is a technician couldnt even get it to work so now i turn them on and off when needed, god i would love a local that knows what to do could help me lol
for airfare, I'd be on my way :blob5: :blob8: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom