Tiling Enclosure Safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Hi! I'm upgrading to a bigger enclosure and want to grout the tile in this one. Is there a certain safe grout and/or sealer that I am suppose to use. I don't want to use ANYTHING that may be harmful to Libby. Anyt ipes are greatly appreciated. I want to start this project this weekend but wasn't sure what to get at the hardware store :? I just can't wait to get it done and get her in her new fortress :) Thanks!

Erin

CLee

Just a suggestion, I use tile too but I didn't grout it. I put down about an inch of washed and sifted playsand then just put the tile on top and filled the gaps with more sand. It helps because then when your beardie really makes a mess you can just take it out and rinse it off in the tub. You may be worried about the sand but just in-between the cracks it's really no big deal. If it concerns you just get his basking temps to around 115-117 and that should help him pass anything he might pickup from licking around. If you want to grout it any old grout will work. :)

kalipbean

Hatchling Member
Wouldnt suggest grouting the tile or getting temps above 110. I just have the slate tiles lined on the bottom with nothing else and have no problem what so ever. Cleaning is easy and removing the tiles is easy. Using the sand in the cracks might harbor some bacteria is not cleaned very well. If you just get the 6x6 tiles, they are squared off and fit quite nicely with no large cracks. Anything you want to put in the viv should be easily cleaned and removeable for a good full cleaning. But if you are making you own viv, grouting the tiles together might not be a bad idea if you can remove the whole piece for cleaning. Such as "sliding" it out from the bottom of the viv. Just a thought...

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The problem is my 6x6 tiles don't fit very well. I need to cut a bit on the width and the length there is a big gap on one end. Since they fit so oddly I wanted to fill them in somehow. The enclosure she has now fits a little better but still its a pain to have to take apart everyday when she poos (it goes down the cracks everytime :roll: ). I figured if it was grouted then it would actually make it easier to clean because there is nowhere for poo and fluids to seep into. It just seems like a breeding ground for bacteria if I don't manage to clean all the tiles that it seeps too. Is there anyway to solve this problem and make life a bit easier? Thanks!

kalipbean

Hatchling Member
Yea, the 6x6 wont fit exactly. Just cut about 3/8" or so off and they'll fit snug. I believe lowes or home depot will cut them or i just bought a tile blade and cut them yourself. Well worth the time. Yea, poop will go in the cracks, but just clean the tiles it touches. Only will be 2 tiles, will only take a couple minutes, i do it every day =)

bambichik39

Juvie Member
Use larger tiles.. I use 18x18 tiles, so I only have to remove one when my bd poops. He hasn't managed to ever soil both, or have it seep anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom