Tiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayJay93

I've decided that i'm most probably going to change from wood chips to tile :) I didn't actually like the look of them at first, but after looking at some of the amazing vivs on the viv only thread, i've changed my mind :) And i also want the best for my little baby. Just one problem... I was just wondering if the tiles stay cold or do they warm up? I have problems heating my viv up as it is and the rocks i have placed in his viv at the moment dont get warm at all, so before i go ahead and buy some i want to make sure they're going to be ok for my beardie as i dont want them to be too cold.
Thanks for any help :) xx

jakeh2009

Hatchling Member
the tiles in my 55 gallon tank do not get hot but they are warm, id say probably 70 degrees or more, they probably absorb some of the heat from the tank, you should not have to worry about that. if the temps in your viv are right you should have no problems. if you do have issues you can always bump your light up to the next higher watts. i was at menards the other day and their slate tiles are $1.85 a tile, not sure if these stores are nation wide but thought id let you know, cant comment on cost at any of the big name places but id imagine they are probably less than 3-4 bucks everywhere. good luck

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
I've never had any problems with tiles getting too hot or too cold. They're a great substrate, in my opinion the best. Be sure you get some with a bit of texture (walking on smooth porcelain tiles is like ice skating for dragons, not good), and I think the larger the tiles the better (less chance of poo getting into the cracks if there are fewer cracks). Make sure you get your heat issues figured out. First thing is to make sure you're using the right thermometer, either a digital with a probe directly on the basking spot, or an infrared temp gun. The key is to measure surface temps, not air temps. You want about 110*F at the hottest point of your basking spot. Try upping the wattage of your bulb or switch to halogens (more heat per watt than incandescent).

The tiles do help maintain the heat better and make sure you get the porcelain tiles. They don't haved to be sealed! Better for the dragons and their poop won't absorb into the tiles. I found tiles at both Lowes and Home Depot for under a dollar per tile for the biggest tiles. They had a sand like finish. I was told the darker ones will maintain a little warmer temp. Also the important thing....They will cut them for you!! Make sure you have your measurements on you when you go!

KayJay93

Original Poster
Thanks for the help :D
I think I'll do that then, will have a look for some tiles tomorrow if I can :)
I have a 60 watt spot light at the moment for his basking spot, which does get up to 100 degrees but the cool end always stays at 70... You never see him down there cause its always just room temperature. Will it make much difference if I change to say a 75 watt bulb? And are halogens much different? I always find a spot light is really bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom