Tiles making his nails too short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
I am a little concerned that the rough tiles are making my beardies nails are too short. I have included some pics. He has been basking with his toes raised and resting his wait on the backs of his paws. He hasn't been letting his toes touch very long. It isn't as dramatic in the photos because it is late in the evening and he seems to be getting sleepy. Let me know what you think.

DSCF4097 by Whispersinmyhead, on Flickr

DSCF4098 by Whispersinmyhead, on Flickr

DSCF4100 by Whispersinmyhead, on Flickr

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
My dragons nails are about the same length since I put in tile as well. The only difference I noticed was she had a hard time staying my shoulder and climbing things because they are not sharp anymore. But otherwise I dont see this being a problem. Maybe someone with more experience will see this differently.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah the climbing is a little bit of an issue as well. I have had him on tiles for many months and he had a harder time staying on my shoulder and refuses to climb any kind of branch no matter how wide. He likes to stay on his half log but that is it. I am looking for a larger version to get him a little higher and closer to the uv but he is just close enough so that is not a concern right now. Thanks for the feedback, it is comforting to know yours has the same looking nails and is fine.

I just don't want him to be in pain and when I saw the way he was basking like he was avoiding putting any pressure on his nails.

Gail

BD.org Addict
They aren't too short, the raised toes is something many dragons do regardless of the nail length. Nyx has really short nails from the tiles and I'm actually thinking about change the tiles I have now to something a bit smoother. Its nice not having to cut nails but she gets distressed when trying to climb.

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
whispersinmyhead":2iyc2bk0 said:
Yeah the climbing is a little bit of an issue as well. I have had him on tiles for many months and he had a harder time staying on my shoulder and refuses to climb any kind of branch no matter how wide. He likes to stay on his half log but that is it. I am looking for a larger version to get him a little higher and closer to the uv but he is just close enough so that is not a concern right now. Thanks for the feedback, it is comforting to know yours has the same looking nails and is fine.

I just don't want him to be in pain and when I saw the way he was basking like he was avoiding putting any pressure on his nails.

Blaze used to get irritated and stop climbing. Wouldnt go up to her basking spot. I made it a little easier for her to get up there, but she seems to have figured it out and has a little more strength from pulling herself up.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just noticed his back feet are way worse than his front. :S No pics yet sorry. There isn't any blood but two nails are almost gone! Has anybody heard of this?

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He isn't really trying to dig or anything it just seems like they are really worn down. I am not concerned with the front ones that are just short but the couple on the back toes are almost gone! I am almost ready to try children's sifted play sand instead of tile.... maybe just feed in a separate container. any suggestions?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I really would not do sand. It is such a pain. It is unsanitary and begins to stink pretty quickly. You could put down papertowels instead or even just put a blanket or something over the tiles. Lillys were fine until she started trying to dig but then her nails were worn down incredibly low and her hands were shaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom