Tile users

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I want to put tile in my new enclosure, but I want to get some input from those who use it. I am building a 4x2x2 enclosure and a fake rock setup.
Should I grout my tile? why/why not?
Should I use larger tile (10"-12") or smaller tile (4" or so)?
Do I need to apply a sealant on the tile?
Do I need to put anything under the tile? Does this depend on the use of grout?

I can't think of anything else right now.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jeff!

I do not have mind grouted in as I originally wanted it that way so in case I changed my mind being female an all that is my prerogative. :lol:

I have one that has both small and large tiles which I placed on that non stick cheap shelf liner.
I think with all tile I might prefer it to be grouted in. I'm not sure I'm liking all tile ungrouted as the tiles are hard to get out of this viv for cleaning.

I have a couple that are a combination of tile and non adhesive linoleum. On these I just have the lino the size of the entire floor of the viv and placed tile on top of it.
These have the small 6 inch quarry tiles in them. I actually like the way this works an it is easy for me to deep clean. Small tiles are easier to take out the top of the viv and boil in a pan when I feel it needs it. And the quarry tile has good texture.

Z&W are like the last couple only with repti-carpet as well and their tiles are stack in a way that it is like a basking ramp.

Baby Benders quarry tiles are sitting on paper towels.

No grout no sealant. :wink: When you use a sealant you would need to let it air out for an ample amount of time. Where if you don't it is ready to use.

Now once we get around to actually building a viv we would like it to have front opening doors and then we will be grouting them in.

It's really a matter of preference.

I'm assuming the enclosure that your building will open in the front?
An your building it out of wood?
Will your fake rock be a permanent part of the sides or back?

I think that this would be a great set up for grouting being it would be wood floor you wouldn't want moisture under the tiles to create mold. Plus if the rock will be like a rock wall and permanent this would make removing the tiles for cleaning rather difficult.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The enclosure is particle board with melamine laminate. If I don't like it, I will go buy the MDF from Lowe's and start over. So far it is good though. I will have sliding glass doors on the front. I don't think I am going to make the walls and everything, just some bridges, ramps, stairs, and platforms for basking. It will probably be in 2-4 pieces so I can take them out if I need to. I have been leaning towards grouting the tiles and then sealing them. I also thought about sprinkling some sand for added texture, but that might make cleaning more difficult. I think there is a polycrylic sealer that comes in a spray so I don't mix the sand in the sealer or the paint brush. You're Awesome! Thanks! :D :D :D
Jeff

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
I have a tile and fake rock set up and I love it.
Vviv092.jpg

For mine, I got these nice, red, 12 inch, textured ceramic tiles. I did not grout. The wood of the enclosure floor is well sealed. If anything were to leak down, the tiles can be removed and wiped up. Also, with not grouting, I can take all the tiles out every once in a while and run them through the dishwasher.
If you are not grouting, definitely go for the larger tiles. Larger tiles means less cracks for stuff to get into.
With ceramic tiles, there is no need to use any sealant. If you're going to use slate or stone, they do need to be sealed. Look for this stuff.
Viggo-1.jpg

For your fake rock, check out my tutorial here.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=90519&hilit=

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have actually studied your fake rock instructions. Your steps are the ones I am going to follow for my project. I was going to use a can of satin polycrylic sealer (I think its by Minwax). Also, with melamine, I didn't think I needed to seal it. I just plan to caulk the corners.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
RedHandFilms we too have checked out your enclosure and your rock formation, it's your fault that the hubby an I have decided that we'd like to build one. :p :lol:
Thanks for sharing your project with us it's an awesome enclosure. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom