Thoughts on the none eating beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Juvie Member
He did eat the first day and the second as he was here, I only offered a couple of cricks yesterday that he turned his head on. I can guessitame that he's rather full and needs to digest after not eating after a while..

He has however been very good with his medicins in the syringe kinda deal so I am going to get veggie babyfood dilute it some and feed him that.
I am hoping that keeping a small steady stream of food into him will help things going.

Also he was asleep when I came home today under his log, not sure when, previous owner told me he often goes to sleep 5-6 PM. Now I wake mine up around 10.00-11.00 AM cause I want my time with them before I go to work at 3.00 PM, I get home at 11.00 and that gives me a chance to tuck them in and look at them before I go to bed. What I am worried about is that he isn't getting enough light. Right now he's under a UVB 5.0 reptisun, short one that is not covering the whole tank.. Tomorrow when I am off I am going to chase down a light fixture, his owner did send with me a 10.0 that reaches across. I feel that his issue might have several parts. From what I have learned screen tops remove parts of the UVb UVA spectrum, now on a healthy beardie this really shouldn't matter, Vickson said that back in the days everyone used 5.0 however, if we take a stressed animal (sine he wasn't too happy with the household) that has had parasites, and not eating well the lack of the extra can be help to contribute to the problem?
What I will do if he goes to bed too early (under his hide), is that I am contemplating blocking the hide for a while so he at least fall asleep under the UVB so he gets full daily dose.

Also I am going to call my vet today and see what he charges for a fecal and Ill bring next sample there as soon as I can afford it (this friday or next as well as depending on when he poops) and make sure that the stress hasn't made the coccidia (or how youspell it) increase again. I feel that his lack of appetite can have several smaller contributions but that they add up.

like:
1. Stressed body
2. infestiation of parasites again triggered by the stress in general. (not sure of this one but I will check it to be on the safe side)
3. Not enough hours of light/heat/uvb cause he's lacking energy and therefor go to bed early, as well as low UVB ratio together with screen top. which will help create more stress on the inside.
4. Going into semibrumation (it's getting to that time and he is a fully grown male) but he's in no shape to at all. (this one I am not sure of though but a lot of beardies are slowing down this time a year hence I will wake him up and at least syringe him food)

So this is the areas I will cover for now, meanwhile I will keep feeding him syringe baby food and once he poops I will offer him some more crickets. Since he ate forty the first time I figured 20 something should be ok and not too much. What I am hoping is that he will poop within the next 2-3 days again and then wanna eat a bigger meal.

Does this sound like a plausable battleplan?? Of course if it don't work I am going to have to do blood work to see if we can find anything there.
His previous slave is sending me all the vet papers so I can bring that to my vet.

Keep fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom