thoughts on leashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc808916

I'm curious about peoples thoughts on beardie leashes. I adopted my beardie about a month ago (I've been told he's 3.5) and I got him a leash the other day mostly because it was on clearance at the pet store. I put it on him and it just made me sad to see him so restricted! He seemed frantic at first then calmed down. I think it would make more sense in the spring because it's getting too cold for him to be outside right now anyways, but what are your thoughts? His old owners used to put him in a hamster ball (what..?) They gave it to me when I took him--I tried it once and he was hissing for about five days.

First of all NEVER put your beardie in a hamster ball again. That must make then so confused and scared.2nd,when i put beardies on a leash they dont like it either they ill start to squirm around and get mad :angry5: at me.So my solution is just simply staying nxt to them when they are outside. I take them outside mostly on the weekend but sometimes I take then outside after school. They love going outside and they do not need a leash.

Good luck,10yearoldvet :D :D :) 8)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I bought a properly designed beardie leash a while ago, one that doesn't dig into the lizard and is very comfortable looking , but haven't used it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Depending on the type of leash/harness it may be uncomfortable or unusual for him to wear it may take some getting used to a a different type. I use a hip leash with Pepper, the chest harnesses looks awkward and uncomfortable to me. I use this basically to have something to hold onto so he doesn't get too far away when I'm not looking at him - he's booked it a few times and we have hawks that nest in the woods nnext to our house. (It's not a lead and there should never be pulling or tugging on the leash.) He doesn't seam to notice it or at least he's not bothered by it, it's very light and unrestrictive.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
i like the one i bought on etsy it's got a 6 foot cord and it just makes me feel more secure that i can let him explore a little bit and still see the cord, he doesn't seem bothered by it at all, it's a harness type thing that is very adjustable.

I bought the Ogle Lizard Leash on Amazon. Link is below as well as a pic of my Loki wearing his leash. Loki doesn't seem to mind wearing it at all. He doesn't squirm when I put it on or after it's on, and he's never hissed at me about anything in the 5 months that I've had him. Truly my baby is an extremely laid back beardie. He never flinches or tries to move away when I pick him up and most of the time he's content to sit on my shoulder or my leg. When he wants to go explore, he does...but he doesn't go too far away and usually comes back. I only use the harness when I decide to take him outside. I don't trust just staying close to him because they are fairly fast and I would be heartbroken if he got away and I couldn't find him.

Link to leash on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ogle-Lizard-L...765275&sr=8-3&keywords=bearded+dragon+harness

Pic of my darling Loki in his leash:

83116-6992327110.jpg

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I've made leashes for some of my dragons. I see no problem with them at all. I only use them when I take them out. They hate them at first until they know what it is. When I would put one on Prince he would get excited because he knew that he was going somewhere and would get to see the outside. He loved the outside. When I put Sandy's on, she squirms a little until it's on then she's fine. Leases, in my opinion, are much safer than just keeping them close to you because anything can happen. They can run while you're looking away or a bird can swoop down and get them (I live in the desert so this really can happen). I wouldn't like to take the chance.

Lucy1988

I made a hip leash for lovebug just with a small toggle and ribbon. I dont think he even notices it on, it doesn't restrict him at all. It's a bit cold to take him out atm but it gives me peace of mind when he's in the house. I don't even hold it, it just lets me know where he is and helps me get him out of the more awkward crannys he finds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom