Thoughts of keeping more than one beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hey all,

Haven't posted here in a long while, but have been lurking regularly to stay up to date. And today, would love some feedback from those who might have some time...

Some people we know are looking to re-home their beardie. They know that we have a beardie that we absolutely adore (doted on, spoiled beyond belief, Mama's boy that he is), and have asked if we would be interested in taking "Spike" on. I have never had a real desire to have more than the one we've got, but admit, I'm intrigued now that someone has offered. But, I'm concerned that having two--being that they are solitary creatures--would dilute the time we'd want to spend with each, etc.

I know many people here on the board house more than one, happily, and I'd love to get some feedback/thoughts/suggestions/testimonials from those people as to what it's like having two (or more), how much more work, $$$$ (equipment and electricity), and time, etc. Our dragon, Cloudy is seriously special. For those who don't remember me, he got off to a very slow and rocky start, but after we made some important changes, bloomed well and is now a very happy, healthy (and full sized) 3 year old. He is also clingy, needy, prone to tempers tantrums if not handled regularly, and prefers to be hand fed. In other words, he is a total princess--high maintenance! lol (I think Spike is a little more autonomous, so that might be a nice change of pace.)

I'm waiting to hear back from our friends, as to size of Spike's viv, lighting they're using, etc. My gut feelings is, there may be an initial investment there, as I'm pretty picking on the lighting and viv requirements, etc.

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Best,
Em

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
IF you decide to take him on, please put in a separate enclosure. Sure there may be SOME success stories but MOST don't end up with happy endings. Just my personal advice

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you should.

When I had multiple dragons, I just took one out at a time for the most part. They all got the equal amount of love.

As for extra costs, the only extra cost mainly is going to be the startup. And then a little bit extra money here and there for food as compared to what you'r paying for.
You don't need to worry about the cost of electricity, it will only raise your bill by like $4 a month depending on your rate.

It is possible to have multiple dragons that you love equally, you just got to have time to be able to handle all of them.

-Brandon

MommiesBoyX

Hatchling Member
i now have 4 dragons, and it can be a handfull with juggling attention between them, but it is worth it. i make sure they all get attention, and thankfully i have my boyfriend and his kids to help. my mommies boy, xavier, wishes he could be out with me 24/7. so even if i spend an entire day with him, and dont hold him the next, he mopes around his cage trying to make me feel bad. lol. i will admit he tends to get more time than the others, but he is my only beardie that will sit still in the car. lol.

beardies are such wonderful little creatures, and they keep the fires in our hearts burning. i think you should adopt spike and i think you will find you are happy with doing so. like mentioned above my post, food and lighting expenses dont go up much, its just the initail start up cost and yearly vet trips.

let us know and good luck!!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MommiesBoyX":og0gy4m4 said:
my mommies boy, xavier, wishes he could be out with me 24/7. so even if i spend an entire day with him, and dont hold him the next, he mopes around his cage trying to make me feel bad.

Oh my! This sounds familiar... lol

MommiesBoyX":og0gy4m4 said:
beardies are such wonderful little creatures, and they keep the fires in our hearts burning. i think you should adopt spike and i think you will find you are happy with doing so. like mentioned above my post, food and lighting expenses dont go up much, its just the initail start up cost and yearly vet trips. Let us know and good luck!!

claudiusx":og0gy4m4 said:
I think you should. When I had multiple dragons, I just took one out at a time for the most part. They all got the equal amount of love. As for extra costs, the only extra cost mainly is going to be the startup. And then a little bit extra money here and there for food as compared to what you'r paying for. You don't need to worry about the cost of electricity, it will only raise your bill by like $4 a month depending on your rate.

It is possible to have multiple dragons that you love equally, you just got to have time to be able to handle all of them.Brandon

Oh, thanks so much for the encouragement. (Brandon, I remember you from when I spent a ton of time on this board a year or two back.) :)

I've learned a bit more about Spike's current arrangements -- 55 gallon, tube UVB, basking bulb, so a bit different from Cloudy's 75 gal/MVB set up, but so long as the tube is good quality, should be ok (my guess is I'll need to replace with a ReptiSun though). His diet sounds good with regard to protein (crx and supers), and veggies are ok--squash and fruit, but lettuce for greens, so that will need to be improved. He's not handled often, but it sounds like he enjoys a good shoulder sit, so nice to know he's not skittish. I admit, when we learned that he doesn't get handled very often, all our hearts just went out to him, i.e., we're leaning towards the adoption.

munchkins9802":og0gy4m4 said:
IF you decide to take him on, please put in a separate enclosure. Sure there may be SOME success stories but MOST don't end up with happy endings. Just my personal advice

But of course! :) The exact reason why I was inquiring as to the size and current conditions of his viv. :wink:

Well, we're going to do some more family talking, and decide in the next day or two. Will keep you all informed. I truly appreciate the feedback from those "in the know."

Thanks again, all!

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
I can relate to how you feel. I got Rosie who is 2 last weekend after I already had henry and I feel guilty when I am paying attention to Rosie who is very affectionate and likes to sit with me for literally hours on my shoulder where henry is content sitting in the window. Funny I never worry about my other lizards getting jealous but beardies really tug at the heart strings. The issue that makes it difficult is Henry who is 2 months old goes crazy if he even sees Rosie puffing up and getting very stressed out.

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
I got Dresden last week as an only beardie, and ended up with Nezzie (2 year old female) 4 days later as an adoption from Craigslist. I did spend some money getting the set up together (I already had a 48x24 prepped, just needed to finish it up) but all in all it's been more than worth it. Their personalities are different so it's a hoot to watch and interact with them. I can't wait as Dresden gets older and I'm able to spend more time with him (I'm nervous about handling a skittish baby outside his viv).

Make the right decision for you and your family. BUT if you do decide to make Spike a part of your family I think you will be very happy.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
All of your positive encouragement has been so very helpful, and so...

...we (my son and I) are making the trek to pick up Spike tomorrow morning!

:blob5: :blob8:

Many thanks to all who responded. Will post update and pics at earliest possible convenience.

Best,
Em

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yay Em!

Are you happy with the decision? ( I bet you are :p )

Can't wait to see pictures.

-Brandon

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
I am excited for you. Can't wait for pics I have 3 beardies and they are all so different when one is done cuddling I have two more who wantto.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hey All,

Well, we just brought Spike home, and we are already immensely attached to him... very dear and sweet boy.

As it turns out (as is all too common), Spike is a rescue of sorts. He's small (his head way too big for his body), and his right eye, when he cares to open it, is fairly well clouded. The people who had him had adopted him from a family member a year or two back, and I don't think there have been any significant changes since they've had him, so Spike is the all too typical beardie who didn't get off to a very good start, and just sort of stayed there... and obviously, with the eye, had some suspect lighting at the start. They had him under a Repti-Glo 8.0 linear tube, so not the worst of the lot, but not the best either. At this point, I'm headed over to the rescue board for some advice. I wonder if it's possible for him to grow anymore... I guess we'll see.

On the upside he is alert, active, eats a decent amount according to the family, tail base looks thick and healthy, and the eye that is open and clear is GORGEOUS (copper color). So, he may have his issues, but he's obviously a toughy. We plan to spoil him rotten from here on out, and see what that might do for his physical condition. He is currently sitting on my chest as I write this... something I can't do with Cloudy anymore because he's just too big and heavy, keeps sliding down my shirt. lol

Will post pics when I get a chance. For now, I'm off to the Rescue board for some advice.

Best,
Em

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
Embee":1ojzojm8 said:
Hey all,

Haven't posted here in a long while, but have been lurking regularly to stay up to date. And today, would love some feedback from those who might have some time...

Some people we know are looking to re-home their beardie. They know that we have a beardie that we absolutely adore (doted on, spoiled beyond belief, Mama's boy that he is), and have asked if we would be interested in taking "Spike" on. I have never had a real desire to have more than the one we've got, but admit, I'm intrigued now that someone has offered. But, I'm concerned that having two--being that they are solitary creatures--would dilute the time we'd want to spend with each, etc.

I know many people here on the board house more than one, happily, and I'd love to get some feedback/thoughts/suggestions/testimonials from those people as to what it's like having two (or more), how much more work, $$$$ (equipment and electricity), and time, etc.
Personally, I own multiple Dragons and won't be taking on years worth of that responsibility again. It does take a considerable amount of extra time, especially if one gets sick or even everyone at the same time - not likely but it can happen and nursing them back to health can take not only a lot of $ but tons and tons of time and emotional sadness. Also lots of extra space is needed as each BD needs their own enclosure and bigger is better, a 40 gallon breeder doesn't cut it IMO and I really want the BD's to be happy and healthy and have a large area to live in so we custom built great cages for them. We also built outside enclosures for the warmer months so they can spend some time outside as BD really love natural sunlight. It is lots more cage cleaning and time giving soaks. It was hard to take everyone outside in batches carved out just for them (we have multiple males and they really DO NOT like seeing each other), so having outdoor enclosures was a solution. It also multiples every single expense, from vet visits, lights, light/heating bills, food needed and the amount going through, bowls, supplements, everything. It is very hard to find someone to watch them sometimes. Other times not so much. Moving is also harder. I love the Dragons so much but I think one is a better number for me as sometimes I am very stretched thin for time and other resources over the years and I would never want the BD's to suffer, so I end up getting the short end of the stick! :mrgreen:
Just know if you get a Beardie off craigslist or from someone who "doesn't want them anymore" more than likely you are looking at getting very attached to the poor little guy and having to do some re-hab for the health of the animal and having vet visits and considerable time/expenses related to that right off the bat.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the encouragement, (and for the candid thoughts/experiences valcash). I appreciate all of the input: good, bad and ugly. We are blessed to have found Spike. He's completely endeared himself to us already. His head is heavy, and he is thin and a bit weak, but has been enjoying some supers, decent lighting and temps, bathing, and today, some time in the coveted sunny window (much to Cloudy's annoyance, I'm sure!). The black beard was ever present for the first two days, but today haven't seen hide nor hair of it. The eye which he rarely opened the first two days, has been open quite a bit today, so maybe there will be some healing there after all.

081611081.jpg

Spike -- black beard of yesterday... good eye side.

081611082.jpg

In viv -- getting used to his new place...

Spike001.jpg

Hi! My name is Spike and my head is too big for my body. But my new family is going to see if they can help with that!

Spike005.jpg

This is actually the poor eye (not easy to see here), which has been open quite a bit today. Might be hope for it yet.

Thanks again, all!

Best,
Em

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there ya big headed spike :mrgreen: :love5:

He is a very handsome dragon Em! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom