Thoughts about feeding my dragons stems from their chopped lettuce.

QibliLover1

Beardie name(s)
Qibli
So when I give my dragons lettuce I usually pull off the stems but will stems help clean their teeth cause they have to chew it? The stems would be moderately small but big enough to where they can chew it. My bearded dragons won’t let me clean their teeth that’s why I’m thinking stems could help.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I would advise you to periodically feed bugs with hard chitinous shells. For example, dubia roaches.
The stem method may not work.
Mine won't eat the stems, he starts eating from the edge of the leaf, and when only the stem sticks out of his mouth, he bites it off and the stem falls at his feet. :)

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Mine won't eat the stems, he starts eating from the edge of the leaf, and when only the stem sticks out of his mouth, he bites it off and the stem falls at his feet. :)
Same with mine. Also from live plants: the leaves are picked off, any stems are left over.

I'd also (and do so) feed once in a while harder insects.

@QibliLover1 Does your dragon have any dental problems?

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I have read that stems can be a concern for impaction, as they are thicker than leaves and take longer to digest. I have no experience on the matter, but I don't think they eat stems in the wild.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Mine will eat the stem just fine but only if there is part of the leave still attached. I would imagine the stem has higher water content and doesn't dry under the geat lamp as fast...

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I have read that stems can be a concern for impaction, as they are thicker than leaves and take longer to digest. I have no experience on the matter, but I don't think they eat stems in the wild.
Stems and impaction has to be a myth. They sure are easier to digest than the chitin shell of a superworm or a dubia.
Impaction in general is mostly caused by improper husbandry if anything.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
just asked the kiddo, the keeper of the salads, and she said she always cuts them to the size between the eyes. we haven't had any problems

QibliLover1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Qibli
I give them skinny and decently long stems to chew on in their salad. How I see it as giving a dog a bone lol. They really like their stems, just was wondering if anyone knew if they cleaned teeth since the sure do sound crunchy. Mine two boys won’t let me clean their mouths and I would like to prevent any dental issues. I even took them to the vet so they could at least show me how to clean their teeth and even they couldn’t get in there.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom