Thinks my finger is food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp1ke

Hatchling Member
Please Help! My younger beardie, Gir, has always been a bit anti-social. We've been trying to get him used to holding him for a while, but I think I'll have to try the beardie burrito for the next little while. Anyways, even before I can do that, I need to figure out why he thinks my finger is food. He used to black beard me when I went to pick him up, but I just picked him up anyways. Now every time I stick my hand in the tank, he has this hungry look in his eye (we do feed him plenty LOL) and he goes for my fingers just like he would a roach or superworm. Any ideas?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
If his mouth is open when he's doing it, have a piece of salad in your hand and put it in his mouth. Don't be afraid of getting bit, they really can't do any significant damage to something as solid as your finger.

Sp1ke

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok! I'm at a loss here. everytime I pick him up he tries to jump out of my hands, and sometimes succeeds. It is almost impossible to even get him in a beardie burrito. I'm really scared that if I pick him up and he manages to jump, he's going to get hurt. Please help! he's still trying to bite me and I just want to calm him down. all the temps are fine, he doesn't appear to be shedding, I just can't figure him out.

brillobee

Emma looks at my hands same way. It's beacause I've hand fed her so many superworms that she associates my hands with food. She's sometimes gets me with her tongue, and tries to get me through the glass. She once bit her babysitter when she was being hand fed because her babysitter had a cut on her hand that she thought was a worm. Her oops don't hurt tho, she lets go as soon as she realizes your not a worm.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Stompy did this to me for almost 3 months. now he is soo very nice and lets me pick him up. Just takes time I suppose! Skyler on the other had has never tried to get away from my hand but for some reason he tries to eat my finger. no agressive behavior just calmly tries to lick up my fingers. he stops when i pick him up. Weirdos.... :p

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
I adopted an adult beardie who'd been attacked by others and had never been handled. If I put my hand near her Dex would go to bite me, and managed to quite a few times, and PANIC if i tried to hold her (jump, squirm, scratch, puff, hiss etc). But I assure you nothing is more rewarding than taming your beardie, you gain a real bond when you've had to 'fight for it'.

I used the following tricks that helped her settle down:
- put your hand in her tank, flat, but dont touch her. she'll see your not there to grab her. do this every now and then for a day or so.
- once youve done for a while start only hand feeding her (wriggley mealworms/waxworms work best). If she goes to bite you be brave and try not to flinch, just raise your hand up and remove the food. she'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.
- then go for handling her again but do it an hour or so after lights out when she'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. at this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. if she doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loved mine.
- when you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get her out, and let her run around near you, like on the bed or on the dlorr in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). She'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if she runs around exploring she'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick her up.
- when handling in this taming period make sure your not wearing any strong aftershave and that you dont smell like food.
- it also often helps alot to find an old item of clothing of yours which smells like you (or cut a chunk out of it) and leave it in the tank. This way she will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
and repeat!

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.
It can be hard work but I promise its possible to 'tame a beast'.
My girl was very agressive when I rescued her, but she turned into the most loving affectionate girl who filled my life with joy.

Be patient.
Keep the faith.

Holly

Sp1ke

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, I'll give it a try and see what happens. Hopefully he calms down a bit soon. My older beardie, Spike, has never had a problem being held and we got him when he was about 1. Gir on the other hand is only about 6-7 months old now and we've had him for about 4 1/2 months. I'm not gonna give up on him!!! but does it really hurt when they bite? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom