Thinking About Slate Tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
So I'm looking into getting slate tiles for Zero because him pooping on his carpet is super annoying :lol:

How do you recommend I measure his viv? Like, how much leeway so they're snug but not too snug for easy removal?

Thanks guys :)

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Measure the inside of the tank... close to the bottom... then subtract about a half inch to compensate for the silicone (i use an actual aquarium so my silicone might be abit thicker that normal) You can usually find slate tiles cheap... and call around to see if any stores will cut them to size.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Awesome thanks! From what I measured and after subtracting half an inch I get about 16 1/2" W x 35 1/2" L

I'm about to make some phone calls now too :)

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Bummer days, the only home improvement store around that cuts tiles said their saw is out of commission for the moment. Super bummed.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Found a tile store that cuts tile.. well they have a saw that they'll help me use. So hoorah. If it's not too expensive, Zero is getting some new tiles and lightbulbs.

Colesdad

I have a 40gal breeder tank. To tile his tank I spent a total of $6! The exterior dimensions are 36x18. I had them cut everything 1inch smaller, ie 35x17 for the floor. Fit perfectly!

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh no no no! Sand is so dangerous for them! If you use all sand they can get impacted, it's not sanitary (can retain parasites from poop) and some sand can even stain your beardies. No, I got some natural stone slate tiles and I'm super pleased with the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom