thinking about dubia roaches. how do i make their bin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenATL

How are the roaches doing? I don't know if you got all the info you needed or not, but I will go ahead and tell you what I do.
I have two bins. One for the adults and the babies that I want to grow up and one for the babies that are food. I get my egg cartons from Waffle House for free. I did get the roach food and the water crystals. They both last. I started out getting the baby roaches so I could get rid of the crickets right away. They were disgusting. I did get mixed later so I would have different age for breeding. In my adult bin I did put a screen on one side. I put their food and water crystals on that side. On the other side I put the egg cartons and the temp probe under the cartons to check the bottom heat. I have a heating pad under the side with the egg cartons. It is on a timer so it has a heating time and a cool down time. The bottom gets up to 115 degrees. I find the heat does make a difference in breading. They produce much faster. Oh, my heating pad is on carpet and I have never had a problem. I try to spay the sides of the bin down every other day. My roaches produce way more then I need! You don't need as many males as females. I'm not sure what to do with my males so I still have all of mine. LOL!
I don't keep heat on my baby bin. I just punched holes in the top of their bin. They do just fine. They also love snacks. I put fruit or vegetables in the bins for them as a treat. It's amazing how fast they can eat the apple slices and what not. :)

allaboutfish

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mine are doing great. i feed off my males and i currently have atleast one pregnant female and plenty of babies. i do have a question though. im running through my males feeding about 6 a day (they're adults and i just feed him what he wants). i need to know how long the babies take to get to maturity so i dont run out of males.

Has anyone used these on their bins? Are they safe?
I pulled them off of 2 tanks that I had laying around.

Thanks
Willils
uth.jpg

Chirple

Hatchling Member
allaboutfish":10vdt688 said:
i ordered 300 mixed, 1 adult male, 3 adult females, and 4 oz of water crystals. can i use a regular heat bulb to heat the container? i dont want to spend 30 dollars on a CHE for roaches.

When thinking about feeding out of a colony, think about that each adult female is going to produce ~30 fresh nymphs a month.

If you have three adult females, that's 90 new a month - and those will take 6 months to reach maturity.

Really depends on the mixed nymphs you have too, but I wouldn't expect to start feeding from it for 3-6 months and it would be sparingly until you really get established since pre-6-months you're just feeding off out of those 300 mixed as they grow up.

allaboutfish

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
how do you tell if the females are pregnant? i keep accidentally feeding pregnant ones. i only have 1 adult male left (from what i can see), but i have a whole bunch of nymphs and they are close to adults now.

allaboutfish

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
saleen89559":3d10qjlr said:
Simple solution. don't feed any adult females to our dragons!
but i need to. dont have any males left, and he eats too many nymphs. i only have one dragon,

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Leave the colony alone and buy some specifically for feeding. Your colony will never get going if you feed off adult females, pregnant or not. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom