Thinking about a Mercury Vapor Bulb? Self/external ballasted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
I think it might be time to get Hope his own MVB, rather than the Reptisun 10.0 I've been using. I know the UVB output is much better. I would go with either the Megaray or the T-Rex. I've got a 3 by 3 foot cage, but its only 16 inches high and his basking spot is about 13-14 inches high, so I'd need a stand. Any stands you recommend? What do you use? And I need to know what the difference is between self-ballasted and external ballasted Megarays as well. Does the megaray come with a stand? I understand that the Megaray puts out more microwatts of UVB than the T-Rex does, but is it enough to make a difference? Any other advice on this would be great too.

npedersen

Hatchling Member
I went with the T-rex, mostly because of availability. I got them from LLLreptile.com. Megarays are back ordered. The differance between the self-ballested and external is the starter. The SB does give off more heat. For you I would go with the external due to the distance. And it is just the bulb (and ballast if you go with the external), the fixture and stand is seperate. As far as the microwatts, I don't think it will matter as most all bulbs give off at the minimum what is required. They both offer a 1-year mfg warranty. The down side to the external is the ballast you would have to deal with.

It really becomes your call.

My .02
Nick

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
I just quickly ordered the 160 watts yesterday, 220V and emailed mega-ray today to replace it with 100 watts as 160 watts will be too hot, I am even afraid that 100 watts will also be too hot since here in the Philippines our normal temp is usually around 85-87F already So I just need a few more degrees really to keep the BDs Happy :-( My tank will be 2ft high as well, will the 100 watts be too much?I dont have a temp gun :-( To measure it with.

npedersen

Hatchling Member
You should be fine. Make sure you got the correct voltage, I'm sure what you use as normal there. I just noticed you originally ordered the 160W 220V, this is usually only for zoos anyway. Just wanted to double check.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Yup we use 220V here in the Philippines. I hope they will replace my order with 100 watts. I am quite sure they have not sent it out yet since I just placed my order yesterday, the price is just about the same for 160 and 100 watts.

Thanks!

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
Arent the Zoo Meds and T Rexs SB? So any of these would work, correct. I mean they all three produce the UVB's. And the distance which they are mostly would produce the same quality rays? And 220v mega ray, wow does that mean that I would have to get my Dragon room rewired with a dryer outlet? hehe All this info is good to know for us that are in the market to order a UVB so excuse my ignorance.

npedersen

Hatchling Member
You wouldn't have to get your room rewired. . . just get the correct voltage. Yes the other brands are all SB, they don'r offer an EB.

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I ended up going with the megaray 100 watt Self-Balasted, for 2 reasons. One: I would want it about a foot away, and when I looked up that distance on the site that sells the megarays that is the one they recommended. And two, I looked up some studies between the T-Rex and the Megaray to see how much each one put out, and the Megaray ended up putting out about 50 more microwatts of UVB at 12 inches then the T-Rex did at the same distance, which in my opinion is worth a week or so's wait. Ended up I didn't have to wait too long though, I got an email almost immediately saying the Megaray had shipped and was on its way. And it is definately time to upgrade, the Megaray puts out about 400 microwatts at 12 inches and the Reptisun 10.0 puts out 66 at 6 inches. He'll be thrilled! And I'm excited, too. I expect to see a change in his behavior with that much more UVB. :blob5:

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
The mega Ray SB's are hotter then the T-Rex but both are designed by Mega Ray. I actually just received my SB's and ended up putting the T-Rex back in Semi's tank. There is a color difference that someone alerted me to on another forum. Once I was told this I checked and sure enough. So Magick has a SB and Semi has a T-Rex. Jada has a EB light. I love the EB's but you have to have a second heat light with it. I use the EB's in Summer and switch them in the fall/winter.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
FYI! I was going to order a different bulb, but I called the mega ray company, (and the inventor, Bob Mac actually answered the phone) and he said they have them in stock right now. The website says they are on back order, but he has them.

It was my first time ordering with pay pal (I know.. I know.. I order online a lot, just not with pay pal) and I got a notice that the USPS has been alerted to pick it up. I don't think it has hit the mail yet, but I just ordered it yesterday! So, he already has it packed and ready to send.. I don't know how long it will be til I get it, but I'm stoked.

BTW, I got the 100W SB...

Hopefully it will arrive with my new deep dome lamp, lamp stand, and various other reptile/pet supplies I also ordered yesterday! Christmas comes early for me!! Ok for the animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom