Thin, listless, off balance beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lara

Hi guys

I need advice. I have a male dragon, approx. 3 years old. He came to me about 2 years ago. He was a rather thin dragon. He was only fed pellets, and only had a sunglo compact bulb.

Firstly, he's been living in a large terrarium, 10.0 reptisun bulb, about 3 months in use. He has an exo terra tight beam basking spot lamp. Temps reach 115 under the basking light, elsewhere it's about 77 - 85.

Everyday he is offered a salad including things like apple, beetroot leaves, small pieces of beets, yellow bellpeppers, red bellpeppers, green bellpeppers, greenbeans, etc. This is sprinkled 4 times a week with calcium powder. Both my dragons get this salad, and my female is the picture of health. I used to feed them mealworms, but learned of the impaction risk. I switched over to supers. Occasionally i will feed crickets. However, cricket feeding feels a bit too messy for me so I stopped purchasing crickets and switched over to dubia roaches after I learned of their nutritional value. My female (Dominic) loves her roaches, but Dante, eversince I got him, has had trouble with aiming. He sees the insect, but he cant grab them. So Ive always hand fed him his insects.

He hasnt gained much weight in these 2 years, and on research discovered that he most likely has parasites. Which I cannot say. I havent taken him to the vet yet. But before plans could be made to drive to the vet (it's about 2 hours drive from here to the nearest one) he developed a new symptom: He lost his balance. He cannot walk in a straight line without falling over, he keeps turning his head in an 8shape (not left to right, but up down sideways). Im thinking neurological, or ear infection, alongside parasite infection, underweight and who knows what else. He is off his veggies, basically not eating, and permanently curled up in a corner, asleep.

Question: Do I take him to the vet for a diagnosis and treatment, or do i have him euthanized. Dont mistake my question for the fact that i dont care for him. I really care about him, maybe not as much as Dominic, who I would go to any lengths to rescue. I just really need some sound advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear about Dante.
His symptoms sound more neurological, definitely. They could be caused by parasitic infestation which will disrupt
calcium absorption & other vitamin absorption too. Over time that will contribute to metabolic bone disease or other
health problems.
How far is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb from him & is there any plastic or screen in between him & the bulb?
What type of calcium supplementation have you been giving him? What do you feed the roaches prior to feeding them
to him?
Do you have any pictures of him?
If he is not eating, you can try getting some critical care powdered formula which can help with weight gain. A fecal in
the least, should be done to see what could be going on. A blood test would be a good idea, if possible. Did you check
on the herpvetconnection.com for any other reptile vets?

Tracie

Lara

Original Poster
Hi thanks for replying.

Okay, the uvb bulb is about 19 inches from the cage floor. It has no mesh or wire or plastic or anything between it and Dante. He has a perch onto which he can climb to get closer to the light, but he wont be able to touch it.

I should mention that I live in South Africa. Reptiles as pets are very popular here, but somehow you just cant find the supplies and vetiranary care that they require. So I have found a place (in Johannesburg) that sells all the reptile supplies I could need.

the calcium powder I use is a reptimed brand. My dubias are fed mainly cat pellets, with an apple wedge or some fruit veg once or twice a week. they have watergel available all day.

Unfortunately, I just cant afford to even find out what is wrong with him. It would cost me 85$ initially ( R600 in our terms) just to get to a vet, pay for the appointment, and have a fecal done. Not even bloodwork. Everyone around says euthanasia might be kinder, since you cant really tell if a beardie is in pain.

I gave him anti-flagellate cream a month ago - 1ml per day for 5 days. And he showed improvement. (that was before the neurological symptoms). I gave him a second dose 3 days later, once again 1ml per day for 5 days. He showed great improvement, he was lively, he was eating, he was basking and running around, then all of a sudden he just stopped. He started showing these neurological signs - especially when I put him outside in the sun to bask. He curls up next to his food bowl and sleeps all day. he doesnt lift his head, cause then it starts moving like that again.

Unfortunately when I got a dragon, I never thought about the possibility that they might get sick. For 6 years my beardie Dominic never got ill or anything. Then came Dante, and I shouldve started saving for their medical aid a long time ago if id only known how expensive it could get.

I just dont know. The vet in my town said he would be able to euthanize him for me for no more than 15$. (R100). Once again - thats the only way i can see out right now since i just dont have anyone that would lend that kind of money to me.

Lara

Original Poster
Dantesit.jpg

Danteopgepof.jpg

These are the only ones i could get my hands on. Those were when i just got him when he was kept on gravel. Both my dragons are kept on astroturf.

CritterFeeders

Hatchling Member
OMG my heart goes out to you. I remember when I bought my first.dragon poor little guy died of impaction on me. But here it seems deeper in your case, I can feel a true conection. They truly become a member of your family! I will pray for you and your dragon!

Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom