They Won't Eat the Roach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I've read on arachnopets.com one of the reply.... He said the fish won't touch the dubia. He threw one in and the fish swallowed it; then, promptly spat it out. He tried it with other fish and none will eat the roach either, but everything eats crickets. I don't why fish don't like them. This makes me wonder if anyone have a bearded that won't eat dubia roaches?

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
oh man, dont say that :shock: !

im breeding dubia right now, and that would really suck if i waited months and months only to have to get rid of them :roll: ...

Thinker

I just set up a breeding colony myself. If my beardies turn up their noses at dubias, I will first try the airplane and hangar game. If that doesn't work, I will guilt them into eating by telling them "There are agamas and chameleons in Ethiopia who are starving. Now eat your supper!" :mrgreen:

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Thinker":e58f3 said:
I just set up a breeding colony myself. If my beardies turn up their noses at dubias, I will first try the airplane and hangar game. If that doesn't work, I will guilt them into eating by telling them "There are agamas and chameleons in Ethiopia who are starving. Now eat your supper!" :mrgreen:

LOLOLOLOLOL...anyways, i believe most beardies will eat ANYTHING, when they are hungry enough. May sound cruel, but if he sticks his nose up at ur "beetle" (for the wifes sake we raise beetles not roaches) than give him a day to think about it on an empty stomach, im sure he will change his mind.

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
When I first got my roaches I threw one in for my lizard to see how he'd react. Well he went crazy and chased it then ate it quickly so I knew he loved them. :lol:

burt1016

Juvie Member
jscott":b1a89 said:
oh man, dont say that :shock: !

im breeding dubia right now, and that would really suck if i waited months and months only to have to get rid of them :roll: ...
why dont you throw just a few in? to see if he eats?

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
The first time I showed Spike a dubia she was so excited and ate it up so quickly I thought I was introuble. At the time I was only starting my dubia colony so I wasn't able to feed just the roaches - I was afraid she wouldn't touch the crickets. she went to the crickets with no problem. When I finally had enough dubias I showed her one and she went right for it, eating about 6 to 8, one right after the other. The next day she acted as though she had no interest - wouldn't even look at one. The day after that she was back to going crazy over them.
You gotta understand, they are beardies and they seem to know they are spoiled. Plus, if they are interested - crazy time... if not, it will be as if your not even in the room. Don't freak out if your bd doesn't take it right away, although I really don't think you will have a problem!
I started out feeding Spike like one dubia every few days or so with the crickets, as my colony grew bigger I added more dubas to her menu. I have been told to try and stay away from letting them eat one right after moting, or while they are white. They are softer and more tender at this time - kind of a filet minon to a regular steak. The lady I got my dubias from says her bd will only eat the white ones, which I am sure is a major pain!

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
we call those "vanilla bugs" at our house... Crash went right after the Dubia when we first got them, then he snubbed his nose at them. Mind you, I had a SECOND shipment of 500 on its way already! :shock: I had to holdback the panic.

I think our dragons just like to mess with us once in awhile, they will eat 'em if they are hungry! (Crash loves superworms, so if he snubs the roaches, he's got feeders anyway) -- keep offering them, or holdback the other live feeders until he conforms.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
i read somewhere that cirtain roaches put off a "panic scent" when they are threatened or injured. the scent appearently wards off predators.

is it possible that dubias do the same thing?

i did feed some of the roaches to my dragons. they each ate one or two in a row then refused additional ones. they ate some more on subsequent feedings but they still seem put off by them alittle. maybe its just because they are a mouthfull; my little guy(LG) has to chew his roach for about 15-20 seconds :lol: ... theyre just so dang meaty!

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
I think that's part of it -- it takes waaaay less to fill dragon up? theroachguy and bestroach both have mentioned the meat-to-shell ratio is so much different than the crickets, the dragons will stop eating when they're full?

Juvie's may be different -- if a juvie is like my first two human teenagers, they ate non-stop! (Crash's age is unknown, we think he's around a year-ish)

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
im starting my colony and have fed just one roach to yoshi, he ran over and ate it up. then gave me that look like uhhhhhh thats it? so im thinking he should be fine, my other beardie is quite a hand full and im not sure if shes going to take to them all to well. but as someone said, beardies are a garbage disposal. they will eat anything that goes in their tank and moves.

ive seen them track flies that land on their tank and try to eat them. . .its sad when your doing home work and you hear a THUD then look back and he hit his face on the glass.

if you get a colony started and they dont liek them. you can always sell off your colony and recoup the money you spent. especially if your colony is strong and going well.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Paradon":8eb22 said:
I've read on arachnopets.com one of the reply.... He said the fish won't touch the dubia. He threw one in and the fish swallowed it; then, promptly spat it out. He tried it with other fish and none will eat the roach either, but everything eats crickets. I don't why fish don't like them. This makes me wonder if anyone have a bearded that won't eat dubia roaches?
Unfortunately I have heard the same thing (I love fishing when i get the chance and having my own source of bait is great). Something about pheromones or other chemicals they release that deters the fish, so I may be out of luck. But oh well, the critters like em still! Maybe if I actually get to go fishing this summer I can test the theory out.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Well, I actually have a dragon that won't chew or swallow a roach. She is very spoiled and will eat supers and hornworms but not any kind of roach. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom