Therapeutic Beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Ok, So this may be a bit long and if I begin to ramble, I apologize. But I will try to keep it as short, yet informative as I can. So, My dad lost his job and my family made a conscious decision to move out of state to Nebraska where my dad already has a job lined up and pretty much already has the job. It's with his friends old company. Anyways, My brother moved in with us because my mom and I wont be up there for another good few months. So my brother moved back home and will be going up with my dad. They are set to leave this Sunday. Anyway, My relationship is not good with anybody in my family by any means specifically my dad. The only person I get along with, Is my sweet little 44year old mom. Anyway, I have been under alot of stress lately. I have to take my g.e.d before I move and have to do various other things in order to prepare for the move and like everyone else, I am under serious amounts of stress. I've already suffered a severe panic attack that I have neglected to tell anyone about because im stubborn. Anyway, I didnt take the beardies out tonight. They were both already under their logs and drifting on and off to sleep by the time I got settled in for the night. I didnt want to disturb them, So I just kept them in their cage. Well I have been feeling really nervous and anxious all night. I've seen people post similiar topics like this about whether or not a beardie could be a service animal or not. But I just want to get my own feedback and opinions from anybody, Can/are beardies therapeutic? I never feel stressed when I have them out on the bed with me at night and when im cuddling them. I feel somewhat happy and I feel like I actually have someone who I can tell all my problems too and not have to worry about them repeating anything I just said and if im really down, I will gladly talk to my beardies. I know, Kinda weird, But I know lots of other members here talk to their beardies, So I dont feel to out of place. And talking to them really gives me this calm sense and makes me feel like everything will be alright. And I know im repeating myself here, But I feel like I've got 2 great scaly friends who will keep all my secrets and hear me out. Anyways, What does everybody else think? Can our Beardies be Therapeutic?

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I would think they would. Like you I have lots of stress lately and when I have my girl out I talk to her all the time, and I think she listens to me when she tilts her head and makes me feel better when she wants to snuggle up to me. I think they would do great at being service animals.

xotamilxo

Hatchling Member
OHHHHHH,How sweet.I Am so happy You have Your Babys to Talk and Yes I believe They are Very Therapeutic ! I Have Multiple Sclerosis and lots of Days I feel awful and depressed because I just cannot do what I did just one Year ago . I Get on here and start reading or Get to holding the Beardie's and it totally takes My mind off what I was feeling about My Ms and even the pain subsides a little :mrgreen: Even daily caring for Them is good because it gets Me out of bed and doing things ..Exercise is great for Me . So to answer Your Question ...Yes ....Yes...Yes.I do Believe They are,Take Care Sweety and I hope You feel better real soon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Loganator

Juvie Member
...And besides your 2 scaly friends, you have all of us out here who will listen too! :wave:

Hang in there! Try to stay positive. Even though things are tough right now, challenges makes us stronger (although it doesn't always feel good when we're going though it).

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
I am soo sorry about your family situation. Any animal in my opinion can be a therapeutic if it calms you. If you want to take your beardie somewhere but your family doesn't want you too then just bring one in a beardie friendly purse.

~Haley

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Xotamilxo- I agree with you, Whether im reading something here on Beardeddragon.org or doing the daily beardie routine, Even if its something I dont really want to be doing at the time, Like cleaning a messy cage, When im doing something beardie related my mind goes blank and I shut down and become relaxed.

Loganator- I appreciate you letting me know that I have friends here to talk to, I would just feel bad unloading all of my problems onto everybody. I do agree that challenges make us stronger. And I try to look at it as, Maybe im being thrown challenge after challenge to continously test my mental and emotional strength. I dont really know, but thats the way I think of it.

HaleyMaree- I have to say, Your response made me laugh alittle. I dont think my parents would pitch to much of a fit if I tried to bring my beardie out to town or to stores with me or something. My mom would probably just tell me to keep them hidden in my shirt or jacket and well my dad, he's not really into the beardies, So he would probably be the one to cause a fuss. As for the Beardie purse thing, Well.. I dont think I would look good carrying a man purse or "Murse". I wont carry a purse, But i'd probably carry a gym bag or something, Which if you thinnk about it, Isnt much different then a purse. But again, I couldnt carry a purse because it's a purse, But i'd carry a gym bag. Good luck tryin to figure that one out, lol.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's alright, I know it's hard to decypher male/female when the name doesnt really cater towards either one. So no worries.

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
I totally believe animals of any kind are theraputic. When my mum passed away 5 years ago my dog stayed right with me. He'd go do something goofy to make me smile. I have lots of problems with depression and I have arthritis and fibromyalgia. Just having Draco takes my mind off things. Gets me moving too. :) He's just a joy to have. Don't get me wrong, I love my dog Jazz equally, but this is a beardie forum. :mrgreen: It has been proven that having a pet lowers blood pressure, so I'm sure they help in many different ways. I just lost my budgie about two years ago. He was 12 years old when he passed. He had a 200 word vocabulary. If it weren't for my other pets I think I would have lost it. Having this forum and all you guys helps too!! :)

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Dracosmommy- I am sorry to hear about your mom passing. It's nice to hear that other peoples beardies/pets help them just as much as my guys seem to help me out. I know everybody here understands me when I say this, But most people dont seem to understand that it's not "just an animal", "just a dog", or "just a lizard" They do more for us then most people will ever understand.

Cath1068

I do think beardies can and are theraputic. I have 2 beardies that I just love to peices. When I take my big male ( Jax ) out to cuddle with I seem to get this rush of emotion/love when I hold him. I know they dont feel love like a dog does but I would think they have some feelings. I get super relaxed and happy. Right now I am having Jax withdrawls cuz he is brumating and I only take him out to bathe but it gets me holding Tigger more as he is still pretty un-tamed at 5 months old......LOL

Cath

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
BigD16 - Thanks, I really do miss her at times even now. :( My dad passed in 1999. But I still have my 3 sisters. You never get over the loss but it gets easier. She would have loved Draco. I agree with you whole heartedly, that they are more than just animals/lizards. I feel sorry for ppl that think 'theyr'e just animals' cause they are missing out on a wonderful part of life.
Cath1068 - I do believe they have feelings. I believe they feel love and other emotions. :)

Jpiroden

Hatchling Member
BigD16":37deh6lb said:
But again, I couldnt carry a purse because it's a purse.
Bah! What's more manly than a pink purse?! Heh, to answer your question, yes I think all animals are therapeutic. When I have Khomez on my chest I feel nothing could hurt me :)

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Jpiroden - There is nothing more manly than a pink man purse and all I have to say is, If there is a man out there who can walk around confidently while wearing a pink purse on his shoulder, Well then more power to him. I just dont think I could pull it off, lol.

Cath1068 - I agree with you. I get really calm and relaxed when I cuddle with my guys at night. My first ever beardie was a huge cuddler, wouldnt get down off the bed, Wouldnt do anything but sit on the bed and bum in front of the tv with me and when the lights went off, She would either bump into me a few times with her nose to let me know she wanted to get up on my shoulder, Or she would wiggle and wedge a small portion of her side between me and the bed. My youngest (now oldest) beardie Vlad was like that when I first got him. I tried spending alot of time with him, But he was mean and moody and wouldnt just chill with me like my oldest female Shadow would. So ultimately, I'd only get to cuddle with him for a minute before he wanted to run away and go explore. So, I would spend the rest of the night with my couch potato Shadow. But then she got sick and I knew the ultimate outcome was me losing her, Vlad started to calm down and become loving. I tried everything to keep Shadow alive and healthy, But in the end, I guess it was just her time and to make that whole situaiton worse, She had to pass away when I went to go pick up Vlad's ex cage mate and breeding partner because I was getting a good deal. But, Now the new beardie Anna Belle (Vlad's ex) who I thought was going to be a huge love bug and cuddler, Is exactly like Vlad used to be. I cant keep her on the bed to save my life, lol. She only wants to spend a limited amount of time with me before she wants to get down and go do her own thing.

Dracosmommy - I cant even imagine losing my mom. Im kinda embarressed to say this, but im almost 18 and my mom was/is the best friend I've ever had. I dont know what I'd do without her. I agree with you 100%, People who fear and hate on beardies most likely are one of those people similiar to people who fear snakes. The media blows these beautiful animals out of proportion and bad mouth them and the general public who knows little to nothing about these animals, Fear them without even ever having an experience with them. (sorry the first part of the response was so short, I didnt want to get to deep into it and I didnt want to keep talking about it in case you get easily upset about the topic.)

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
BigD16 - Thanks but I can talk about her today. Just had a hard time right after she passed. I was 49 at the time. I hope you don't have to experience that at your age. Just love your mom every day while she's here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom