THe size of my girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
I have had my baby girl bearded dragon since a couple days before Halloween. She is only 9 inches from nose to end of tail and was wondering if she is small at her age. I bought her from petco and she has been healthy and eating everyday.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
That is very small. I got Max at the beginning of October and he is 18 inches now. Can you answer these questions so we can figure out what's going on?

ow old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
How many live feeders do you offer at time?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

MsWanda10166

Hatchling Member
Dragonista was born Oct 1, and is 14 and 3/4. I think we may have stunted her growth some, because we had her in a WAY to small tank for the first month we had her. We moved her to a 50 gallon tank in Jan, and now she is in a 72 gallon tank and loving it. My son built her a beardie jungle gym to play on. Other than her being slightly on the small side, she is getting top notch care, thanks to the folks here, and is thriving!!! She does eat us out of roaches regularly, and every other food we give her except greens, but hopefully with the 1000 roaches due tomorrow, I will solve the running out of food problem for a while.

drakedragon

Juvie Member
kayster24x1":2hswsul0 said:
I have had my baby girl bearded dragon since a couple days before Halloween. She is only 9 inches from nose to end of tail and was wondering if she is small at her age. I bought her from petco and she has been healthy and eating everyday.

so she is probably around 6 months old now. most people with beardies that age they seem to be around 18". my 3 month old is just over 9"

w0554096

Juvie Member
If you answer these questions, we may be able to figure out if there is something else affecting her growth.
how old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
How many live feeders do you offer at time?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am not sure how old Angel is but I bought her couple days before Halloween. She is 9 inches long from nose to her tail. I believe Angel is a girl. I have her in a 55 gallon tank. I am using self adhesive vinyl floor file for the substrates for the bottom of her tank. I am using a 24 inch reptisun 10.0 that is in a under the cabinet fixture that is in the cabinet using 3M command hooks. It is only couple months old. Angel is 6 inches from the UVB light. I am using a 150 halogen bulb. I turn off all the lights t at night time. The lights during the day are 10 am to 10 pm. The cool side during the day is 74 degrees and hot side is 100 degrees I use a digital thermometer. I do not use a heating rock or heath pad. I feed her collard greens, watermellon, honye dew and cannelope and hour after her lights are turned off. She is not eating much of her collard greens lately. I feed her 20 crickets at 6 pm. I dust the crickets and greens and fruit with rep cal phosphorus free calcium with vit. D everyday and I use rep- cal multvitamin 3x a week. She poops everyday. I try to bath her 3x a week but she hates the water. I do not mist her. She is alone in her cage .

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like your care is good. You should be feeding her more though - she should get as many crickets as she can eat in 10-15 minutes twice a day. Also, use the rep-cal at one feeding each day five days a week and the Herptivite at one feeding just twice a week.

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would like to feed her more and get her bulk small crickes online but I always have a problem keeping the crickets alive. I have used the orange cubes but they die fast and was thinking of getting cricket diet food and quech stuff but was not sure what to feed them to stay alive longer

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Your setup sounds really good! What is the actual basking temp? It should really be more like 105F. Also, are you only offering her 20 crickets a day? She should be eating more like 40-60 a day. You should offer her crickets at least twice a day, and let her eat as much as she wants in 10-15 minutes at each feeding. Collard greens are good, but the watermelon, cantaloupe, and honey dew melon are not very good for her. This site is a really good resource for knowing what is good to feed your beardie: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

If you're having trouble with crickets, you can check into other feeders like dubias, silk worms, phoenix worms, horn worms, butter worms, etc.

Hope that helps!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Dubia roaches are great, as are phoenix worms and silkworms as staples. Horn, butter, and wax worms are good treats. The melon is fine as a treat, but probably shouldn't be offered every day.

bumblebee

Juvie Member
Actually, butter worms can be used as a staple. They're just really expensive, so most people don't use them as a staple.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
They're a bit low in protein to use as a staple feeder (but then again, crickets kind of are too. Go dubia/silkworms!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom