The perfect beggining tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a bearded dragon soon (few months actually) and I want to know whats the perfect tank/substrate/decor everything for a beggining tank. I'd prefer a tank that can handel a baby to adult, substrate can be changed from baby to adult I don't mind that at all, but I want to know a proper tank size for any size of bearded dragon. Keep in mind I know they need a large water bowl and a food bowl, I have some idea's for substrate but better to check with skilled owners.

so I'd like to know these following things.
Tank size-
substrate for baby then adult-
what type of lighting/what type of heating for the size of tank-
what kind of decor? like branches/rocks/etc...-

I've heard suggestions from the pet shop on what I should use but I wouldn't trust them at all.

fez09

Extreme Poster
I would say a minimum of a 40 gallon breeder, if you want you can upgrade later but this will be just perfect for long term. I have 5 dragons and they are all housed on tile. It's easy to clean, long lasting and pretty! Can't go wrong with that! In my opinoin, keep it simple for cage decor...I don't like clutter. They need a sturdy basking rock and a hide. As far as lighting, the Repti-sun 10.0 tube is super popular and I have never heard of problems...A regular household lightbulb will work for basking, I use a 60 watt...Good luck!

Terranariko

Original Poster
fez09":1fhs0mar said:
I would say a minimum of a 40 gallon breeder, if you want you can upgrade later but this will be just perfect for long term. I have 5 dragons and they are all housed on tile. It's easy to clean, long lasting and pretty! Can't go wrong with that! In my opinoin, keep it simple for cage decor...I don't like clutter. They need a sturdy basking rock and a hide. As far as lighting, the Repti-sun 10.0 tube is super popular and I have never heard of problems...A regular household lightbulb will work for basking, I use a 60 watt...Good luck!

ok, I might get something bigger then that though depending...but in anycase thank you for the advise. I've also seen a decor for lizards thats a crocodile or alligator skull looking thing. It looks really cool...but I'm not sure if I can use that with a bearded dragon, can I?

Also tiles would be the best I think....it can go from babys to adults...but don't they find it hard to walk on?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
You don't buy slick tile, you get tile that has some "grip" to it, like slate and other natural stone tiles.

There's no reason you can't buy the same decorations for a baby as an adult. I have had to strip down my littlest girls tank though because she has a tendency to hide & sleep all day rather than bask. She seems to be growing out of that, thankfully.

furmanbr

I have 2 beardies one in a 40 gallon glass tank from a pet store. when they were both babies they shared that one but i put a piece of cardboard down the middle so they each had their own "20 gallon." that worked really well until they were about 5ish months old. Then I found a 4x2x2 on craigslist that someone had built. I bought that and split them up. The 4x2x2 was HUGE at first but now that Phil is nearly 17'' its the perfect size. My little girl is only about 14'' and growing more slowly and is perfectly happy in her 40 gallon. I used shelf liner when they were babies as it was easy and cheap to replace. Once they got older and their nails needed to be controlled, I put in slate tiles. I found that when they pooped in their viv, which i like to avoid, that sometimes it would slip between tiles (YUCK) and get onto the glass or wood depending on the tank. Now I line the bottom with the shelf liner as like a protective covering of the bottom of the tank and when they poop, i lift up the tiles and can easily clean underneath them too.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Terranariko":35ndehxy said:
so I'd like to know these following things.
Tank size-
substrate for baby then adult-
what type of lighting/what type of heating for the size of tank-
what kind of decor? like branches/rocks/etc...-

Just some general recommendations that seem to keep recirculating:

Size: 4' x 2' x2' seems to be most recommended side for an adult.
Substrate: In general, nothing loose (i.e. sand, dirt). My preference is grouted tile. Each to clean up, no risk of impaction. Some people use the indoor/outdoor type carpet, but it seems like a pain to clean to me.
Lighting: Same basic requirements.. you want a uvb source, a "hot side" 105-115F (on the hot end for a baby), and a cool side 75-80.
Decor: Your choice... some place it can hide, some place it can bask. That's really the only requirements that I know of, everything else is just your preference.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom