THE NEW BOY AND ANGELINA JOLIE'S HOMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Hi from a (relative) newby!

I am one of the proud parents of Angelina Jolie (look closely, you'll see the resemblance). She is approximately 8 - 9 months old and lives in a sunny town in South Africa. She is a very spoilt little creature and does exactly the opposite of what her mom read about beardies. She hates her bath, but loves being cuddled. We are in the process of building her new home and would love comments, even the negative ones, as well as hints.

Regards

Angie's Mom

My current home:
61815_400464913238_613083238_4329663_3685383_n.jpg

68969_405282413238_613083238_4434959_3273423_n.jpg

My new home-to-be (Day 1):
71501_410227993238_613083238_4520727_8375730_n.jpg

I feel so small...

alkemisten3

Hatchling Member
Looks really nice, and large - as it should be!
I would say, pick ur bottom material wisely, maybe tiles already now?
I would also recommend to look into some DIY projects, and you can make some really nice home made deco, that often works better than bought ones.
I would choose to put some color on the walls as well, maybe bamboo around it for a nice woody feeling? :p
Great!

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your advise! We're not yet at the finishing touches, just trying it on for size so far (",) - this is only the work done after one day. We are considering tiles, and have quite some plans for the decor. She's getting a platform, a water feature, (maybe) a hammock, some plants, rocks and branches. I'll keep updating as we go on.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DAY 3:

We ran short of some tiles, so back to the hardware store today! Also need to get some grout...

69800_411048813238_613083238_4536095_2099977_n.jpg

Busy with the rock on the platform - painting tonight!

72240_411219393238_613083238_4538715_3712910_n.jpg

alkemisten3

Hatchling Member
Awesome looking tiles mate!
Very nice job with the stones as well.. keep us posted on the finishing touch :D

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments! We are nearing the end now and Angie should be able to move in over the weekend.

DAY 5:

The last view from the top before the roof and lights come in:

33675_411770783238_613083238_4545991_1790999_n.jpg

The view from left to right:

66381_411767558238_613083238_4545933_945712_n.jpg

The view from right to left:

34388_411769673238_613083238_4545981_455966_n.jpg

alkemisten3

Hatchling Member
Very nice job!
This is the first dragon you are getting?
It is a really nice idea there with the hamster drinking thingie, I read you could train your dragon to use it... :D
Some feedback> The plants look awesome, but are you sure she wont intent to climb and put them down?
my little darling does that to my fake plant...

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nope, Angie is our second. Unfortunately our first one passed away when he was still a baby.

About the hamster water bottle thingie, we (unknowingly) trained Angie to drink from it... We were very worried as we never saw her drinking water, so we started using the bottle after meals. She is so used to it now that she actually sits and waits for her water, but she is still to spoilt to drink from it when we don't hold it :wink: . We will have to see what she does with it attached to the wall, but we are placing a little bowl under it, hoping that the dripping water will catch her eye.

I'm not sure what she will do with the fake plants, we haven't tried using them before. She is used to a very flimsy real plant, but the plants are battling to survive in the heat.

We put her in her new home yesterday, just for 5 minutes to see what she does, but she is not impressed yet... She froze solid, only keeping an eye on Mom or Dad! We'll be doing the big move this afternoon.

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
Enclosure looks good! A couple of things though. Those lights are REALLY close, especially the red one, What is it? But regardless, I think the last thing you want is your beardy jumping at the light or if it's some type of heat bulb or heat emitter, be way too close and burn.

And what is the big white light in the middle? If it's a coiled UVB bulb, I would get rid of it. Too many problems with eye issues with them. A dragon here on the forum just passed away likely because of the coiled UVB bulbs and the owner didn't remove it fast enough.

Is the light on the far right a mercury vapor bulb? That's fine where it is, just curious.

Deemac6

Juvie Member
It looks absolutely beautiful, you did a great job. As stated above though about the bright white bulb if it is a coil UVB you really should get rid of it they cause terrible terrible problems and also the red bulb is something you don't need, its hard on their eyes to and they don't need it at night it messes with their sleeping, if you need something to keep your night time temps up get a CHE.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments!

The light on the right is indeed a mercury vapour light - she absolutely loves basking under it.

We bought the UVB coil before reading all the negatives about it, but have since ordered a UVB tube (just waiting for it to arrive). Angie has been living with a coil since she was born, and, touch wood, has not had problems so far.

The photographs might be slightly deceptive with regard to the distance between them and the platform and floor. The red light is also a low-heat light, but when we switch it off, she won't sleep...

It seems her adjustment period in the new enclosure is now over - she ate a record amount of mealworms last night, explores every corner and is completely intrigued by the moving crystal ball on the waterfountain. She seems very impressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom