The life of a silkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

burt1016

Juvie Member
So here is my little adventure of raising and growing silkworms.
My first wormies :D
I went to Taiwan for a year for my moms sabbatical. I had a friend that got 100 silkie eggs for his science project. 99 hatched. He gave me 6 (so generous) to keep as pets. Yes silkies are pets in Taiwan. Here they are when they first arrived in their beautiful candy box
100_0034.jpg

So beautiful eh?
They grew up into big big wormies
100_0077.jpg

100_0076.jpg

100_0074.jpg

100_0073.jpg

Aww they r spinning :eek:

Next I had a science project in 6th grade. I ordered 500 eggs, 29 hatched. (wow i suck at hatching)

No baby pics sorry
100_1056.jpg

And then they cocooned
100_1104.jpg

Mothys and eggys :D
100_1105.jpg

None survived :(

Im ready to start up the silkie cycle again! This time for burt and joyce, i'll be ordering today or tomorrow. 500 eggs again, if 100 hatch 10 will be kept for cocooning. Thanks for reading, i'll post up when i order/recieve the eggs and silkies!

burt1016

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Little update, I just ordered 500 eggs (again i'm hoping i'll do better this time), and 150 small pheonix worms. Im excited, i truly am.

burt1016

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I got the eggs and the phoenix worms today! I came home at 9:00 pm and saw the package at my doorstep. At least it wasn't cold today in colorado :D

I got them from mulberryfarms.com

burt1016

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well one little guy decided to hatch early. Only been 3 days since I got them! Silkworm population:1

burt1016

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well today around 40 hatched in the morning. and around 20 hatched this afternoon. Just went to six flags (amusement park) with a friend and came back to see them crawling around the petri dish. I am estimating around 60 hatched today. This is better then the 29 that hatched last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom