The General cost and upkeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpkinman

Hatchling Member
$400 for 2 vivs.
$150 each for 2 dragons
$300+ for the first vet bill. Only had her 6 weeks.
$100-200 for incidentials

jjh1

Juvie Member
$600 for 2 atasuki viv 6 feet long
$98.00 lighting decorations whole sale (saved 114.00)
$15.00 basking wood ( Charity wood) awesome price
$9.35 100 superworms every week
$9.35 100 crix every week
$20.00 various greens every week ( Local farm markets)
$15.00 4 harness Thanks Christine :)
$10.00 baby blankets for Hammocks blankies
$11.00 calcium lasts 3 months
$9.00 vitamin powder lasts 3 months
$8.00 liquid calcium
$10.00 acidophiliz
$4.00 for 10 syringes
$2.00 for organic baby food when they wont eat

Hope that helps you but I wouldnt have it any other way I love my scaley babies, and of course all my other animals I have.

tempusfugit

Hatchling Member
If you're in to building stuff and have tools. I'm pretty sure a cage could be built for well under 100 dollars. 200-250 is what the average first time builder spends. If you look on craigslist for building materials, you could probably get a 4x2x2 built, slate bottom, DIY fake rocks for ~50 bucks.

Stuff's expensive, but it doesn't HAVE to be as expensive as most people are saying.. I don't know how you spend 20 dollars on greens. My dragon could have the most varied diet in the world and there's no way in hell he'd eat even 5 bucks in veggies a week. I spend around 6 or 7 and throw away more than half when they start looking bad. Not to mention, there will only be a very short time where he is eating a LOT of veggies AND a LOT of crickets if he does at all.. They start off eating mostly crickets and move to eating mostly veggies.

Vets can be expensive, but I just got a fecal/exam/prescription for pinworms for under 75 dollars.

My lights and heat cost around $2.50/month

60 a month for freeding one BD? You're already on the internet, you really need to use it to order your bugs, or start a colony...

So ya, it gets expensive, but paying 600 for a BD setup is kinda like paying sticker at the car dealership. If you really research and hunt down some deals you can get a Beardie and a complete set up in the 150 neighborhood, and running costs around 20-30 bucks a month.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
General upkeep on two dragons probably costs me $800 a year. That's lighting maintenance, power, and food. If you throw in a medical emergency, then those costs shoot up tremendously. I spend more on food then I need to, but allergies keep me from raising my own colonies. No matter how you slice it, reptiles aren't cheap. Which is probably why the first year mortality for pet reptiles is something like 85%...people buy the $40 reptile and aren't prepared for the upkeep costs.
When my female dragon was young, I raised her on Phoenix worms. She could eat $5 worth in a sitting...factor in multiple feedings a day, and she cost more to feed then I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom