The General cost and upkeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I was researching and I think I found some ways to save some money because I love D.I.Y. projects. But im not really sure on the total cost and the monthly cost for beardies.

1- To make my own cage a 4x2x2 from lowes or something. I already have tools how much money in wood to make it? probaly like $20 right?

2- Instead of UV blubs just building an outdoor enclosure as well. I live in the desert so temp is not an issue and he can get alot of sun. Id also make a spot in the enclousure for him to get in the shade to if he wants.

So what do you guys think? My 2 ideas sounds good?
I would very much like it if I got more than one opinion about the costs as well.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
Beardies are expensive- to say the least. I can honestly say that my beardie alone cost me more than my dog annually. With vet visits, UVB bulbs biannually, food, heat lights, and all of the random stuff that Pablo just "cant live without" (hes spoiled). It all adds up quickly. UVB is something your beardie will need to have in his enclosure, regardless if you put him outside from time to time. Also, building an enclosure will be more expensive than you think. The wood shouldnt be too expensive, but with the glass doors, vents, lighting, flooring... it all adds up quick. I remember when I built a STAND for my tank, I figured it'd be like 50 bucks. Close to 200$ later it finally got finished. Don't let this in any way change your mind about getting a beardie, I have four lizards so obviously I think the expense is worth it. I just think people need to realize they aren't a cheap pet, they are just as big of a commitment as a dog would be. I'm all about saving money, dont get me wrong, but some things you just cant skimp on (like a UVB bulb). Good luck!

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
PetLover16":2ao0zw78 said:
Of course I was researching and I think I found some ways to save some money because I love D.I.Y. projects. But im not really sure on the total cost and the monthly cost for beardies.

1- To make my own cage a 4x2x2 from lowes or something. I already have tools how much money in wood to make it? probaly like $20 right?

2- Instead of UV blubs just building an outdoor enclosure as well. I live in the desert so temp is not an issue and he can get alot of sun. Id also make a spot in the enclousure for him to get in the shade to if he wants.

So what do you guys think? My 2 ideas sounds good?
I would very much like it if I got more than one opinion about the costs as well.
BD proper care is very expensive, especially when looked at over their lifetime. We have homemade enclosures and it took a lot more money than anticipated. We had all the tools too, add another zero onto your $20 estimate. Little things add up fast. You want the cage to be large and suitable for them, the tiles, decor, proper lights (a significant expense and it isn't a one time purchase), placement of those lights, vents, etc. etc.
Your electric bill will also go up.
Outdoor enclosures are also expensive, we have one and even built out of mostly materials we had around the barn, it still added up quickly in costs to be a secure enclosure. You want to make sure it is properly done and you want screen so they can't eat fire fly's (deadly) and you will need safe plants or something for shade. Many places aren't suitable for outdoor enclosures, or if they are, not year round and only a few months when the weather isn't rainy or gloomy. I would not leave them out unsupervised due to weather conditions, they can change fast. It can get really cold at night, even in the desert and storms can arise, I have seen ice and snow in the desert, not normal, but still. It depends on where in the desert you live I would think.
Hope this helps some. I totally get wanting to watch the costs and the DIY in you though, you are smart to research :study:
BD's are very expensive to feed when they are young. The amount of live bugs is a significant cost. You can start breeding your own bug colonies and that will cost you in set up costs, but will pay off in the long run. I love to give my Dragon's variety in feeder bugs, they like hornworms the best. I also get calciworms, silkworms, super worms, feeder roaches, and I have fed crickets before but not in awhile. Fresh veggies daily costs some money, but not significant IMO and I give a lot of variety, this takes more so time than anything as I believe fresh is best. Then there are supplements, not too bad of a cost but probably $20. If the BD gets sick that is also money and time to nurse the BD back to health. These can be quite expensive animals to own.

techdave

Juvie Member
It's going to cost a lot more to make a viv. Check out http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/ gives step by step instructions.

I'm assuming that you would be out there the whole time he is. The desert birds and such may freak him out. If they do try to get at him, you may need to take him inside. Therefore, you would need a uvb bulb.

w0554096

Juvie Member
I definately agree. A UV bulb is a must. However, depending on how much sunlight he gets in your outdoor enclosure, your UV bulb might not see nearly as much use. If your climate allows you to have him out in the sun everyday, then you won't need to use your UV on those days. However, even desert enviornments are sunny all the time, which is why you'll need a UV. Also, I was a little confused, are you only planning on building him the outdoor enclosure? Or are you saying two..One indoor and one out?

We're in the process of building a new viv for our guy, and I can tell you..We've spent a heck of alot more than 20$ on wood so far, which hasn't included screws, vents, doors, sealer, etc. Of course, I didn't have any delusions on how much I'd be spending, lol. I tend to overspend on projects like these, because the plans get more elaborate as I go. :)

There are cheaper ways of doing things, if you're looking to save money. Lots of people make wonderful vivs out of old dressers, cabinets, tables, etc. You could probably pick up an old dresser for 10 bucks and redo it, resulting in a nice viv with much lower costs.

But..Buying the wood and making it from scratch gets expensive alot of the time unless you're going with a specific design with a materials list.

Livey

Extreme Poster
UVB is a must,
Also
PetLover16":283u465d said:

Monthly costs, depend on the age of the beardie,
I spend about £40 ( $65 or so ) on live feeders..
Vets can be expensive for check ups and operations..
Lights changed every 6 months...
I think you need to think it over.. theres alot more to think about than just the viv and UVB

my1stBD

Juvie Member

This can work, and is working for a few people i know of BUT, you have to be 100% committed and take him / her out DAILY for at least an hour of natural UVB exposure.
Also when your beardie is outside in his outside enclosure you HAVE to be there with him / her. Accidents happen so fast. This question has been asked and not been answered.

And unless you can keep this daily outing up for the next 10 ish odd years i would invest in a UVB bulb also.
It would also be wise to have one for those cold days / rainy days / days you may not be there or are feeling ill, who knows what can happen.

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
I think I've spent close to $600 on set-up stuff and the dragon herself - and still don't have what will be my final viv, which will probably cost another few hundred (whether we have it built or build it ourselves). I did, admittedly, buy a lot of things at Petsmart, simply for the convenience, when it would have been cheaper to buy them online or get a Walmart equivalent. I've made some mistakes, and in some cases, have had to just absorb that cost. Enclosure, light fixtures, bulbs, stand (since the heat lamp was going too hot and needed to be elevated), digital thermometer w/probe, basking rock, hammock, calcium/multivitamin, greens... It adds up pretty quickly. Then the feeder crickets and roaches, and a place to keep them, and tongs to catch them (I don't mind insects, but I'd rather not touch more than necessary), and the container to dust them in...

The enclosure, the light fixtures, the bulbs, the container for the feeders, and the dusting container, I know I could have had cheaper/made myself out of materials I had at home. I made mistakes on a couple of lights, and had to replace them, sometimes for a little more than I'd initially paid.

If you were more careful than me, you could probably shave $100, $150, possibly even more off the cost. Possibly a little more if you were really careful about where you bought viv materials in building your own. But I don't think there would have been any way in the world I could have gotten everything for less than $300 - maybe I'm just not a very good bargain shopper. :wink:

We're not rich, though - faaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it. We're very much more leaning towards the poor side of things, financially. But we're careful with our money, and don't buy a lot of the things we would like to have but really don't need. So it can be done, even on a strict budget. We'd been thinking about adding a reptile into our pet collection for some time, and had been saving money for the upfront costs. So... it can be done. :)

As for upkeep month-to-month... that, I don't know yet! Sorry for the ramble.

JayyyNerd

Hatchling Member
Just to share my own experiences.

Bowser has been with us since February 26.
I think, in my figures, that I came up with having spent $400 in preparing for her arrival. This does include a temporary 40 gallon breeder, though it is not Bowser's permanent viv. Had I built her permanent viv, the total cost would have probably been around $600. Also, that total does not include the cost of buying Bowser from her breeder.

On feeding her, since she came home with us, we have spent right around $250.
The vet visit is going to be $108.

I probably could have cut costs at certain times but in the times that I didn't on some things, I did on others. I bought a lot of my supplies from PetMountain but also from PetSmart, PetCo, Amazon, Home Depot and Wal-Mart. I already had all of the plastic containers that I needed to house the worms, shake the worms, etc. I already had a stand for her tank. And, I also found and disinfected the rocks and branches in her viv rather than buying them.

I was well prepared to spend a good bit of money up front. I was not, however, so aware of the cost of feeders. Now that Bowser is a part of my family, this is a hit my bank account is going to have to be willing to take. If you aren't wanting to spend so much on monthly upkeep, a good idea might be to get an adult rather than a baby or a juvenile. I haven't had an adult before but I know that they eat a 80% salad/20% protein diet rather than the other way around for the young ones.

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Feeders (Live and greens alike) do not have to cost an arm and a leg.

I started breeding crickets when i got mine and since then added roaches and super worms to my home based insect breeding projests.
Am now 80% self sufficient and in 1 months time the roaches will be feedable and there will be enough to continue the breeding line. Same with the supers.

As for greens I grow the leafy ones in pots on my porch and then just buy a buternut / sweet potato / pack of beans or whatever for variety once a week.

JayyyNerd

Hatchling Member
my1stBD, awesome that you do all that! I would love to eventually get to that point. I know that I can handle growing the greens, maybe I can try out breeding supers when I get some extra time.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Its going to put you off with how much i have spent on my dragons, so i wont even tell you ahah

my1stBD

Juvie Member
@ Jay

Breeding the supers and roaches are easy as pie. Just takes a long time to get a colony established enough so you can feed off it and restock your breeding supply. Supers about 6 months and roaches 3-4 months.

Also superworm babies are litterally MICROSCOPICALLY small, it feels freaky feeding the "EMPTY" bin as you really cant see them at 1st LOL :D

JayyyNerd

Hatchling Member
my1stBD":6x6exlel said:
@ Jay

Breeding the supers and roaches are easy as pie. Just takes a long time to get a colony established enough so you can feed off it and restock your breeding supply. Supers about 6 months and roaches 3-4 months.

Also superworm babies are litterally MICROSCOPICALLY small, it feels freaky feeding the "EMPTY" bin as you really cant see them at 1st LOL :D

I can imagine. I buy Micro Supers and not all of them, but a lot of them, are so tiny they are sometimes hard to see. I think you've inspired me, I'll have to start doing some reading now. :D

Cocky

Hatchling Member
£253 for the Viv and beardie (set up included Viv, lighting Fixtures, Temperature control, Thermometer)
£20 per week for food - Based on 100+ locusts and mario worms at the present time (was more when younger), Bulk buy online, as petshops rip you off for the amount you get and pay.
£40 for decoration and Bowls etc
£22 for the substrate (change 3 monthly)
£5 (guess) per week for heating and lighting
£4 spare heat bulb (6 monthly)
£18 Reptisun 10.00 UVB (6 Monthly)
£6 Calcium Dust (3 monthly)
£7 Salad and Greens (weekly)

Beardie has been healthy and not needed any vet or medicine.

So for the initial setup then it cost in total - £370 (food and setup)

With an ongoing monthly cost of £41 - with additional costs every 3 and 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom