The Fitz and the Fool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there forum-goers!

This will be the central location for all things Fitz related.

This is the Fitz, I am the Fool in love with him already. (If you've read Robin Hobb at all, I'm sure you see where this is from, and where Fitz's name comes from)
image_5.jpeg

He is my first reptile of any kind so I did many months of research prior to committing(it helped that my husband wanted me to hold off until our new flooring was installed in our apartment so that there wouldn't be as much disruption). Over time my plans for him changed, everything from what kind of doors to install on the enclosure, to what kind of flooring, whether to do a Styrofoam background(still considering doing this), what I would feed him, what kind of lights to buy (MVB or heat bulb and UVB tube). There is a lot of information out there and a lot of misinformation.

Fitz is what the breeder called a neon, though of course she referenced a bunch of genetic mumbo jumbo that I'm not clear on, I'll get that from her one of these days.

I picked him up on Saturday evening, so today is my third full day with him. He is currently living in a large Rubbermaid tub with papertowel so that I can monitor his health, poop, and eating habits for a few weeks prior to moving him into his final home:

IMG_0863.jpg

This is not yet complete, it still needs the tracks to be installed (currently awaiting shipment), glass doors and some more substrate. Once the tracks and glass are in I will also introduce the clean up crew (bioactive substrate). The above is basically what it looks like now, except I've added some plants and Fitz's temporary home is sitting inside it so I didn't have to remove his UVB light from the main enclosure.

He is obviously still settling in, but he has not yet missed a meal, eating his bugs like a champ and some greens. Not the huge amounts of bugs I've heard of yet, but a decent number twice a day. Pooping on the regular and looks normal with no visibly undigested bits.

Fitz is very adorable; I have to admit, the head-first into the cricket bag antic gave me a good laugh.
I had seen the water dripper you set up in his viv at a previous post. What did you use to put a hole in the cap? I was thinking of doing the same idea when my little one's viv comes in.

87559-7419012724.jpg

Nanaki sends his greetings to Fitz. :D

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My drill with the smallest drill bit.

I love his hammock, and his adorable self of course!

I'll have to swipe my roommates tools then! (I could ask but where's the fun in that? :lol: )

Thank you!
I haven't hung it up yet but I'm hoping to soon. :D

dezismom

Juvie Member
go Fitz! He looks happy in the sun. Looks like he got most of that old shed off, too. Or is he starting a new one? Dez was always starting or ending a shed when he was younger. Very nice coloring on Fitz. He is probably in a much better mood now that his shed is almost done. Dezi is not a happy camper when he is in the middle of a shed....

Dez also loves sunbathing. His favorite spot is in our RV, by a window where we made him a special "lizard ledge." He watches the world go by, stretching out in the sun, acting like the Big Boy. At home, we do not have any good windows for him to sunbathe in, but when the afternoon sun comes through the dining room windows, he likes to perch on the table as I do my jewelry making. He is such a good little companion. Always nearby, watching what ever I am doing, or napping on me.

Here he is on his Lizard Ledge
82765-1469265386.jpg

and watching me making some jewelry
82765-2825262007.jpg

I guess, and I quote Cooper? I believe, who said their sheds are probably comparable to a bad sunburn for us.
Itchy as heck but it hurts when you attempt to do anything about it. I know Nanaki was not a happy camper during his shed but he mostly moped at the world. I did get puffed at a few times during his bath but, thankfully, no black beard. :lol:

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's just starting another shed. He starts with his tail, then his back feet, then the rest of his body goes dull. Then the tail will explode and on and on.

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Hello again!

Fitz is a real cutie! And I really like the natural looking tank design. Shed's are never any fun for the beardie or the owner. The only time Mushu ever bit me was during a shed. I have to use shed aid and lots of baths when he shed his tail otherwise it dries on and I have to take him to the vet. Something to do with bad blood flow :(

Jessie.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Aw, poor Mushu, that sucks that his shed won't come off properly.

So far Fitz's have been pretty normal. It feels like it takes forever between going dull and actually exploding off of him, but that's probably because I'm waiting anxiously to see what new colour is underneath. I've only had him for a month and a half though and he's been through three as he is growing like a weed!

Saying leave me alone, I'm shedding!

image_19.jpeg

Mushupork

Hatchling Member
Yeah, he just needs some extra help. I know what you mean, Mushu is over two years old and he still changes colors a bunch. It's like opening a Christmas present, haha. Poor thing, is that a face shed I see?

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So let Fitz try some blueberries this morning and they were a hit. He is still reluctant to eat his greens from the bowl(despite having done so at the breeder, I even saw him do it!), but between a bit of fruit here and there and chunks taken out of his live greenery, I know he is at least getting something.

His shed does not seem to be progressing much beyond his tail and hind legs, which are dull, but have not exploded yet. I'll have to give him another bath tonight to see if we can't help it along.

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well the shed seems to be making some progress. All 4 legs are full and this photo doesn't really show it but I'm really excited to see what comes out on his front legs because I see a bit of pink under the shed

image_21.jpeg

And! Didn't catch him in the act but the evidence speaks for itself, Fitz is finally doing some digging!

image_20.jpeg

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok maybe doubled in size is an exaggeration, but he just looked so much bigger.

Today's measurements:

36 cm
146 gm

image_23.jpeg

quyllur

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's been awhile since I updated this, but Fitz is doing well.

I had to replace the doors on his enclosure as the track disconnected when I took the glass out to vacuum. Luckily the glass was out when the track fell off, so I didn't have to replace the glass. I got really tired of the grinding noise and having to vacuum out the tracks all the time, as it seemed even the slightest motion from Fitz near the front of the enclosure would throw bits of dirt and sand into the tracks. So I installed glass hinges and reused the glass. It looks fabulous, the glass still overlaps so there is some security with regard to keeping his clean up crew inside as well.

I figured since I already had everything out of the enclosure and Fitz was snugly set up in my bathtub as temporary housing, I might as well replace the liner that I put in, as I was never happy with it, it was too thin and I didn't like that it was loose/not attached. So I got a heavier gauge plastic sheet and cut it to fit and glued it down to the bottom and lower six inches of the walls of the enclosure. It turned out fabulous.

Last night I reinstalled the substrate and branches and plants and I think it looks pretty good.

IMG_1096.jpg

I will have to get an up to date picture of Mr. Fitz, as I took the ones I had off my phone.

I've also started work on one of those Styrofoam and grout dealies to make some structures that I hope will end up looking like some jungle ruin type stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom