The Adventures of Walrus, Hyuna, Harley & Quinn!:December 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had scoured the internet for a bearded dragon that perked my interest. I stumbled upon some silkback beardies and thought they were interesting so I contacted a breeder in my area who had posted an ad in some classifieds I was browsing and waited to hear back.
After a while, I finally recieved a phone call from the breeder, who is from A & J dragons, saying that he had sold the silkback dragons that he had posted but that he had one more in a pet store in his area that he could pick up and show me. So, I got in my car and drove to meet him.

When he got there he seemed upset. He told me that the pet shop had not been taking care of his dragons properly and that he had some bad news.

Turns out that the pet store had housed him with another much larger bearded dragon and it had "nipped" the silky. Nipped is definitely an understatement. His little right arm lays to his side totally limp. It's got visible kinks and discoloration in some of his toes. He was very, very dry due to the fact that they had not soaked him or lotioned him the whole time he was there. I posted on the forums about his arm here : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=194141 If you guys have any suggestions on how to care for this, please stop by and give me some input.

The breeder was furious and took all his bearded dragons that he housed at that pet store. He told me that he did not feel right making me spend the amount we had previously agreed on if I liked the little guy, and that he'd give him to me next to nothing, just enough to pay for the gas he used driving there and back to his home. He also gave me his guarantee that if the little guy didn't make it that he'd give me another silky in his place because he felt so bad about the whole thing.

So, now I've got a poor little injured silky. He's already stolen my heart. I've yet to name the little guy. I'm gonna give it a little bit of time before I give him a name. Here's some pics!

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Annalee":243obp99 said:
hoopyscoop":243obp99 said:
Hi! :wave: I haven’t heard from you in a while, how are things going? :)
Wonderful! Everything is great. I am busy with my bestfriend from Germany staying woth me to visit and we are having a blast. How are you?
I am great! :D

Oliver has driven me up the wall...But I’m great! :D

I love it when friends visit! Have fun! :blob5:

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
School has been a nightmare since I quit. Luckily, tomorrow morning is my last final. :study:

I'll be back! All the lizards are doing well. I'll do some photo updates tomorrow, likely. I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone again.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'll be looking forward to new updates and pics, too, now that school is almost done. Glad you got through it.

kakequinn

Just read through about 10 or so pages of your thread that I've missed, I absolutely love all your animals and what you've done for them.You've really got me wanting a silkie.. :lol:

Glad school's almost over for you and can't wait for updates!

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2lwkubcg said:
I'll be looking forward to new updates and pics, too, now that school is almost done. Glad you got through it.
Last final went well. I was really worried about it but I think it went well!

kakequinn":2lwkubcg said:
Just read through about 10 or so pages of your thread that I've missed, I absolutely love all your animals and what you've done for them.You've really got me wanting a silkie.. :lol:

Glad school's almost over for you and can't wait for updates!

Thanks Kake! Reading everything (though I've done it many a time) is quite a feat! It's been a wonderful journey. Losing Luther was hard but everything I've done, from the beginning and in between, I see was worth it. I've got my Walrus, Hyuna and my "lady birds." (I still call them that. IDK why) Everyone's growing and thriving.

I spent the whole day with my little brother out Christmas shopping or I'd update. I may take a picutres tonight still. As a matter of fact, I might do that now and just post a few pictures.

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
First of all,

Happy Holidays Everyone!
That's Teemo and Jae Suk. Poor Jae hates those antlers. The bells scare him so I could put them on his head all day and he wouldn't move an inch from that spot. Couldn't resist snapping a shot of it.

Here's what you came for. Lizard updates :D

Walrus is getting huge. God, I was looking at a picture of him as a baby where he was sitting on my palm and he didn't even stretch the lenght. Now look at him! I'm a proud mommy.

He's so big!

He's got a little fleck of something orange and dry on the left side of his jaw there. I had taken him to the vet and gotten it checked out. He rubbed it raw glass dancing because he loves to do that :/ Just got a bit infected so he's on an antibiotic and a pain killer for a couple weeks. It's already receded quite a bit and it doesn't seem to bother him any. Man, he hates feeding syringes. I had not missed the days where I had to use them but whatever it takes to ensure he's healthy, I'm good with, even if he hates me for it for a bit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Hyuna still hating everything. XD She's probably the easiest to handle out of all of them but I still think she doesn't enjoy it. I think she'll always be my little barn cat.

She does have a damn pretty face though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's that adorable face???

It's Harley! She's gotten quite a bit more... Girthy? Maybe that's the word I'm looking for. She's chubby and getting a bit longer but she's definitely flaring out more than lengthening.

She's shedding like mad too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quinn's always the last one awake after I turn on the lights. She likes to sleep underneath that hammock. I don't know if she'd sleep if I took it out of her tank XD

She's, not unlike her sister, in a perpetual state of shedding. It's very rare for them to not have chunks of skin hanging off them in all directions >_<
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After promising Jerod I would not take in another rescue for a while, I ended up with another. We had a talk about the lizards and his only concern was their cost and I reassured him that I had everything I needed to care for another until it recovers. As much as I'd love to keep it, I can't but I've fallen pretty hard for this one.

This is her/him. I say that because.... I'm just going to call it a him for now.... He is very thin and I can't make out if it's loose skin or hemipenes under his tail. A guy had posted about a couple of bearded dragons he bought his son who had not taken care of them and stated that he had a leather and a silk. I asked for pictures of the silk and found this guy. They said it is a female but I am unsure of this. I personally think it's a guy but I'll keep checking as he puts some weight on him. He has a patch of some sort of milky substance on his nose that is coming off with sheds but I've been putting a dab of lamasil on it every few days per the vet's suggestion. I'm using gloves every time I handle him until I'm sure that the substance is gone and still washing my hands in between handlings but I'm being extra careful.

He has pretty much no tail base at all.

He's as flat as a pancake. That's not him flattening at all. He's relaxed there. When he's pancaking out, he's paper thin. His tail where it looks dirty is staining from dirt they were kept on. The guy who I got him from was a "ball python guy" and got these for his son thinking "a 10 year old should know how to care for pets." He didn't check on them and this is what happened. I'm surprised (given that he was housed with a leather) that he's not missing toes or suffered bites since it looks like he was hungry for a long while.

Anyway, after he's nursed back to health, he'll be put up for adoption. I'm not sure how long it will take but I'd like to have at least a couple "milky substance" free months and a clean bill of health from a vet.
If anyone here is interested in adopting him, let me know. I'd be willing to ship him once weather permits for the right home. He's a total sweetheart.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope all is well with everyone else! How are you guys spending the holidays?
Love,
Annalee

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks for the update, it's great to see your babies doing so well, furry and scaly :D Glad you're doing well, too and that you're having a break from school. And a new one, at least for a few months, he'll do so well under your care.

I know you know about Titan, I'm just heartbroken, but the fungus has taken over entirely, so it's the best thing to get him out of the pain he's in. We're to the vet tomorrow am, I'm going to miss him like crazy. The strange thing is a friend of mine has to re-home her dragon, so Puff is moving in tomorrow afternoon. I did have another home set up for her but it fell through & I thought it was too soon, but I've known Puff since she was rescued, as Leo was in the same tank. So it seems right that she moves into my bedroom, she'll have a good home. She's about 6 yrs old, so not a baby & in good health. So there will be a female in my home for the first time in 2 years, even though I swore, after Sweetie, that I'd never have another girl. Puff has never laid eggs, so I'm hoping that will stay the case, 'cause that's what I didn't want to deal with anymore.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday & great Xmas & New Year's and here's to a great 2014. How much more school do you have ahead of you?

Thanks again for the update, everyone looks the picture of health, except for your new boy. Walrus is so big & so are your girls. And the colours coming in are so pretty! Well, handsome for Walrus, that is :mrgreen:

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":hzs2o2tv said:
Thanks for the update, it's great to see your babies doing so well, furry and scaly :D Glad you're doing well, too and that you're having a break from school. And a new one, at least for a few months, he'll do so well under your care.

I know you know about Titan, I'm just heartbroken, but the fungus has taken over entirely, so it's the best thing to get him out of the pain he's in. We're to the vet tomorrow am, I'm going to miss him like crazy. The strange thing is a friend of mine has to re-home her dragon, so Puff is moving in tomorrow afternoon. I did have another home set up for her but it fell through & I thought it was too soon, but I've known Puff since she was rescued, as Leo was in the same tank. So it seems right that she moves into my bedroom, she'll have a good home. She's about 6 yrs old, so not a baby & in good health. So there will be a female in my home for the first time in 2 years, even though I swore, after Sweetie, that I'd never have another girl. Puff has never laid eggs, so I'm hoping that will stay the case, 'cause that's what I didn't want to deal with anymore.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday & great Xmas & New Year's and here's to a great 2014. How much more school do you have ahead of you?

Thanks again for the update, everyone looks the picture of health, except for your new boy. Walrus is so big & so are your girls. And the colours coming in are so pretty! Well, handsome for Walrus, that is :mrgreen:

My condolences about Titan, Deb. I was so sad to read that on Facebook. You know we're all here for you. He'll have good company up there. I miss Luther and Charmander very much. I had no warning on mine and I can't imagine how hard it is to spend the last few days with him but I'm glad you get the time you need. He will no longer be in pain. I know it's not much solace for you but at least its something. I'm here anytime if you need me.

I'm excited for you for Puff! If she's 6 years old and hasn't laid eggs, the chances are pretty low, aren't they? I hope that is the case. 3/4ths of mine being girls worries the hell out of me but it will be okay... Hopefully. XD I bet it will be nice to have a new face to see every morning. I know how exciting that is. I'm heartbroken that my little guy's only temporary but someone will be getting a real treat of a dragon. I wish I could just pretend to get rid of him and like... hide him. XD Make him mine forever.

I'm going to be spending Christmas at home with the love of my life and my mini loves. :p I think we're having dinner with my parents. Not sure yet though. Jerod has Christmas and 2 days off after Christmas so it'll be nice to have that time to spend with him.

I have 2 more years of school until I have my nursing degree but I'm hoping to go for my masters and be a Nurse Practitioner so I've got a long way to go. It'll be worth it in the end. I'm looking forward to being able to contribute to our quality of life monetarily. Soon... Soon...

You're very welcome. I haven't been on in a long while and I don't like that. It's great having a place to document my lizard's and my life and you guys are all awesome. :D

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks Annalee, I appreciate your support, you have no idea. I'm keeping busy for the next few days, the busier I am, the easier it will be for me. I'm just glad I followed the right protocols and my other boys are healthy & the YF was contained. I'm glad I figured it out that quickly and got him to the vet for the right meds, even though they didn't work after his last shed. YF seems to be around a lot, it's a puzzle how he got it & none of the others did, so I'm pretty sure only dragons that have bad immune systems will pick it up. It's still a mystery for Titan, though, as he never went outdoors, except in the gym bag to the vet, so I guess the spores are in the air. I know of only one person who's dragon survived YF. I did everything he did but nothing worked for Titan.

Sounds like you're going to have a very relaxed Xmas with Jerod, that's great to hear. And it will be no time at all before you'll have your degrees, and so worth it, too.

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":9aizykua said:
Thanks Annalee, I appreciate your support, you have no idea. I'm keeping busy for the next few days, the busier I am, the easier it will be for me. I'm just glad I followed the right protocols and my other boys are healthy & the YF was contained. I'm glad I figured it out that quickly and got him to the vet for the right meds, even though they didn't work after his last shed. YF seems to be around a lot, it's a puzzle how he got it & none of the others did, so I'm pretty sure only dragons that have bad immune systems will pick it up. It's still a mystery for Titan, though, as he never went outdoors, except in the gym bag to the vet, so I guess the spores are in the air. I know of only one person who's dragon survived YF. I did everything he did but nothing worked for Titan.

Sounds like you're going to have a very relaxed Xmas with Jerod, that's great to hear. And it will be no time at all before you'll have your degrees, and so worth it, too.

I was really worried that was what Walrus had but the Vet ruled it out for me. I'm sure you did all you could. You very clearly care for your dragons like children. You did what any mother could do.

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I took some quick pics waking up the lizards this morning. Thought I'd share. :D

"Look mom, my beard is shedding!"

"Is this a better angle?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyuna's black as night stare. Lol. I was doubting the person I got her from saying she was a trans. I definitely do not doubt that now. :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harley was not having it this morning. That's a look of death right there. :roll:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quinn decided it was still sleepy time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where'd that come from? :shock:

Who's that waving?

I've SPOTTED you.

It's Felix, the Crested Gecko! :wink:

He likes to climb....

So I've decided to keep Cresties after much debate between Leos and Cresties. I got convinced by a good friend of mine who is a breeder to try my hand at them. Might breed in the future, who knows. For now, he is solitary but I have a 29 gal tank so I will be getting a mate for him or her sometime in the future. Can't tell the sex for now but we'll find out someday.

I have so many reptiles now... I was told they were like pringles, you just can't have only one. I doubted you guys. However, I now concede to your logic. You guys were right. :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have a crestie, too, Bunny, who's 8 years old. There was a question as to if she was male or female & she's laid 3 eggs so far this year, so that answered that question. As for males, they have testicles, big ones, so it's not difficult to differentiate. The females have a large bump under their tail. So you'll know soon enough!
Sure enjoyed all the pictures and Hyuna sure has beautiful black eyes! Walrus is so cute showing off his shed and Harley and Quinn are shedding, too, looks like, they're just not morning dragons, are they :lol:

Annalee

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3lyihq82 said:
I have a crestie, too, Bunny, who's 8 years old. There was a question as to if she was male or female & she's laid 3 eggs so far this year, so that answered that question. As for males, they have testicles, big ones, so it's not difficult to differentiate. The females have a large bump under their tail. So you'll know soon enough!
Sure enjoyed all the pictures and Hyuna sure has beautiful black eyes! Walrus is so cute showing off his shed and Harley and Quinn are shedding, too, looks like, they're just not morning dragons, are they :lol:
I'm looking forward to finding out what gender he or she is. I've been considering breeding them. They're a lot of fun and I have a good friend of mine who is wanting to take me under his wing and show me the ropes. I'm still considering it but it might be a fun experience. I like babies. :lol:

Yeah, the lady birds have been in a perpetual state of shedding for a while now.

I was feeding the girls today and Harley head bobbed at me. She's never done that before. Walrus has quite a few times but never Harley. She's been a bit on edge since Mr. Attractive Rescue :wink: moved in next door. She can't see him and yet she's still bobbing up and down and glass dancing on the side of the cage closest to him. I may just be imagining things but she never used to do that until he moved in. Hm, what do you think? I've been spicing up the usual greens routine with some cut and diced squash and they've been all over their salads again. I should give them more variety, I think. They REALLY enjoyed the squash though.

What do you guys feed in your green mixes? I'd love some fresh ideas.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
I mostly stick to the usual ones, collards, mustard and dandelion greens. Thresh loves Bok Choy though, it was the first greens she got when she moved in and she ate so much of it(a dish of it, pretty much), right in front of Deb and I. Now she only eats her greens if I'm not around. :lol: She loves blueberries too, because they roll around so she'll chase them on her tile. I've yet to give her much else merely because some of the things I want to try her on(cactus pad, prickly pear, dragon fruit) are hard to find within a 5 minute walk and I'm to lazy to travel a far way to go else where. :D

My roaches go nutty for dandelion greens too. They go through leaves and leaves of it. More so then collards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Go88 là một trong những nhà cái cá cược trực tuyến hàng đầu với danh tiếng vững chắc trong cộng đồng người chơi.
Tag: #appgo88link #go88link #Game_Go88 #Game_bài_Go88 #Cổng_game_Go88 #Tài_xỉu_Go88 #Nạp_tiền_Go88 #Rút_tiền_Go88 #play_Go88
https://smartcity.bandung.go.id/member/bsc3090527795d
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesper
Top Bottom