that time of the year again! BRUMATION!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
ahh man. well my beardies back to his potato self!!! being a brumating machine... kinda lounges in the corner, arms spread eagle like super man, and opens an eye or 2 occasionally! hasn't been eating much at all which is typical, but i do take him out for a good half hour soak every saturday! i keep putting fresh water and kale for him to eat, but hes never been big into his veggies soo its just wasting money, but whatever.. its there if he wants it!

hows ur's doin?

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
My Woofy is 8 months tomorrow and has been very sluggish lately, too. He has given up his veges for the last month and eats less than normal crickets. He stays in his hammock late into the morning. I'll pick him up and hold (cuddle) him, then place him on his basking area. He used to poop every day, now its like every other day. After he poops, he's back in his hammock in the corner (away from his lighting/heat). I'll pick him up, offer him his food around 3-5:00 PM, he'll eat. I put him back on basking spot and an hour later he's done for the day (around 6:00 PM). Is this normal behavior?

Mind you, Woofy may only be 8 months old, but he weighs 700 grams! I took him out for "exercise" for about an hour this afternoon and he seemed to perk up. But whenever he's in his tank, he just wants to hang out away from his basking area??

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
wow 700 grams???? lol geez i dont think hes 8 months at all! he has to be way older! i think it all depends on ur beardie... i've had mine now 2 years and seem to know him and his ways... mne hasnt pooped in like a few weeks? maybe a month??? when i first got him and he did this, i freaked and spent a bunch of money at the vet, but nothing was wrong, just had to let nature take its course... i wouldn't freak out unless this is like the first time u've noticed this but again, brumation is different for all types, some sleep, some lounge, some are potatoes like mine haha .. as long as u bathe him every so many days, and the temps are fine, and uvb is good .. you'll be alright! just let nature take its course, they know what they need more than we do, offer veg and water... bc thats all u can do.. :D

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
I know its hard to believe as most adults arent as chunky as he is, but I got him from Tom, TND Dragons, when he was 6 weeks old. His hatch date was 02/14/2010 and we picked him up on April fool's day. He just loves to eat :D

Okay, well from the sounds of it, I guess nature has already taken its course. I used to so enjoy our morning routine of lights on at 6:30, salad in by 9:00, salad half gone at 10:00, poop to clean at 10:30, cuddle and more eating salad on my son's bed at 11:00 and lunch at 12:00, then dinner at 4:00, and more snuggles. I guess I'll have to readjust :(

I wonder how long this will last --- we live in Maryland. Maybe Spring?

danny662boy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i live in pa... and mine usually comes back to life toward the end of feb, beginning of march... and goes crazy in heat, running around everywhere, head bobbing, black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom