Temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Ok questions about temps etc. I just got Elijah a 40 gal breeder and found out that I was messing up his temps. bad. I had posted in the Health disscussion forum that he was slowing down and I found that I didn't have the right equipment for measuring temps. (I had sticky thermometers) So I bought the digital thermometers with probes. I have one set up in his basking area and one set up in the cool side. Now I have been reading that some people who have 100 watt or more basking lamps are a little too hot for a 40 gal. and that most people are able to use 60 watt or so in the basking area. I have a 100 watt bulb on my basking area (I live in the basement of the house, it's cold down here) and the temps are at about 107. I moved the probe farther down his log that he basks on and it read 110 and was still climbing!! I immediatly turned off the 100 watt and switched to a 75 watt and then I couldn't get his temp above 95. :banghead: On the cool side of the tank I do have to keep a 60 watt bulb to keep the temp at about 77 to 78 and thats under the bulb (the probe rests on the ground on that side and he has nothing on that side to get closer to the bulb). So I had to put the 100 watt bulb back in, what should I do. I don't want to fry my guy but I can't seem to get his temps regular. He is active, no health concerns at all. Thanks for the input.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
I think you should be fine with the 100w. If they get to hot they will get up and move to the cool side. Also you can try to play with the basking platform a bit.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I'll give that a shot, the thermometer probe rests at the top of his basking log which is where he likes to sit most of the time and it read 107 or so there. He will open his mouth or move when he gets hot. He loves his hammock I got him which is right next to his basking area and under the UVB. Thanks for the input.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Hey mate,
With basking temps, Beardies down under have been known to bask on a log outside when temps are 45-50c..
Aslong as they have a cool side, or a hide to retreat to, you will be fine :)

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks a ton for the input guys! It really helps to have these forums. 8) I just want to make sure my beardie gets the best I can give him and to have people support you in that is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom