temps in brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sally and lola

Juvie Member
I have a 2 year old girl and she is starting to brumate properly this year and I was wondering what I do with the tempertures now? do I reduce them amount of time the basking spot is on and how long the repti- sun 10 should be one and does the temperture of the basking spot change as she is sleeping under it ( it is a slate tile table , the top is her basking spot, she is in the dark under the slate top)? thanks for your help :D

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I haven't experienced brumation much, except last year Redrock (rip) went into a semi brumation starting in mid September and lasted until February. I do know there is a link on the home page to a terriffic updated article about brumation. It will give you an idea what to look for and, a suggestion to get him to a good herp vet (If I remember correctly, Miss T is in england, also and could help you with the name of a good herp vet) and get a checkup complete with a parasite check. This is because the symptoms of illness are the same as the symptoms of brumation. The only difference is that if the dragon is ill or has parasites, they will loose weight, if they are just brumating, the weight loss is non existant, except for a few grams.

I do remember reading that some lower the light times to 10 on and a few have put them into a shoe box until they wake up. I suggest reading that article as it will give you a LOT of information regarding what to do with them and, for instance, to get them up once a week for a soak and to make sure they poop before letting them brumate as they shouldn't brumate with food in their tummy as that can make them sick.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
sally and lola":ee56a said:
I have a 2 year old girl and she is starting to brumate properly this year and I was wondering what I do with the tempertures now? do I reduce them amount of time the basking spot is on and how long the repti- sun 10 should be one and does the temperture of the basking spot change as she is sleeping under it ( it is a slate tile table , the top is her basking spot, she is in the dark under the slate top)? thanks for your help :D

It would depend on how deeply your girl is sleeping. If she's still waking up occassionally during the day, then I would leave her lights on for her, perhaps just cutting them back to a shorter day (10 hours of light instead of 12 for instance). If she's out cold and not getting up at all during the day, you can actually leave all of her lights off as long as it doesn't get below the safe night time temp (low sixties F). Last year my girl slept from the end of october until mid spring like a rock. I put a cardboard box "cave" in there for her to sleep in so that she could curl up and feel safe, and shut all of her lights down. While they're sleeping in a cave or other shaded place, they don't get any benefit from their UVB lights so you might as well turn them off and save the wear and tear. The room Randal's tank is in has enough daylight coming in through the window to provide her with some sense of the day/night cycle (assuming she needs that to tell her body when to wake up again for the spring, not sure whether they do or not) so I shut down her heat lights as well.

Hope this helps.

sally and lola

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well she has been asleep for 3 days luckily she saw the vet 6 days ago and she is fine ( no worms etc in poo sample) i just shut down her lights and put up one red heat lamp to keep the viv warm at 65-70 degrees depending on which end which is on all the time ( it is cold in england at mo ) this lamp is on a dimmer so it is hardly on. i take it that i wake her up once a week for a bath and food if she needs it? do i leave veg in there for her incase she wakes up or do i wait until i see she?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom