Temperature Gun vs Digital thermometer with probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
In all honesty I don't have either, but a probe would most definitely be easier to use, and you should be able to find one pretty cheap at Wal mart or most hardware stores.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
syoung27":11kt88ox said:
In all honesty I don't have either, but a probe would most definitely be easier to use, and you should be able to find one pretty cheap at Wal mart or most hardware stores.

How do you measure your temps Then?

I personally prefer the gun, but i keep both.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
I have specific dial guages from work I glued to each end, which do read quite accurate within 5°. I just use a cooking probe I have once in a while to check the basking spot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use both. If I had to choose one I'd use the IR temp gun. I started with that and I like being able to get instant surface readings around the tank and outside as well. The probes are good for taking longer term measurements in a fixed spot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They range from cheap to expensive. The expensive ones aren't necessary. I usually suggest the Nubee one that was linked in the first post which is $14+shipping. ZooMed makes one that is available at pet stores but it's not any better IMO and costs around $25. They read surface temperatures rather than ambient temps but that's fine for lighting adjustments.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
Oh ok either is not bad at all. I was expecting over $50 forsure just from some of the IR cameras and such tools I have for work.
I haven't noticed the guns at petsmart. Although I hate being there so I usually just grab what I need and run. Lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, they won't break the bank. You can get pretty cheap digital thermometers with probe attachments too. Usually under $10 but it's good to have two - one for the basking area and one for the cool side. Some of the temp guns can run several hundred dollars but they're overkill for use in this situation. That kind of money is much better spent on a UV Meter or a programmable dimming thermostat.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":ez4v4idh said:
They range from cheap to expensive. The expensive ones aren't necessary. I usually suggest the Nubee one that was linked in the first post which is $14+shipping. ZooMed makes one that is available at pet stores but it's not any better IMO and costs around $25. They read surface temperatures rather than ambient temps but that's fine for lighting adjustments.

Temp guns will read both surface and air temp. It depends on the distance you hold it at , the farther away from the surface, the bigger the IR spread, the more ambient temp thats recorded.

To use a IR gun to take surface temp, you take measurement from directly in front of surface. For ambient, take temps at a distance from a surface.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lots of great info here, thanks everybody for all the responses. I will start with the gun and a couple thermometers with probes later.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Nihilist":1fyeixup said:
Lots of great info here, thanks everybody for all the responses. I will start with the gun and a couple thermometers with probes later.

Great idea, i like to have multiple things to test with. I personally have 2 temp guns and a digital probe, plus just an analog dual thermo on the cool side. I actually prefer the zoo med temp gun due to its size. Much easier to move around a terrarium with one in your hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom