Temp help needed as soon as you can THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BO8CUE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

It has a brand new battery in it. I had been using a temp gun before I got it. So anyway, I have the sensor on his basking spot. The inside reading says 88F (31 celsius). The outside reading says 130F (54 celsius)!!!!

First of all, which one do I go off of? The inside of the outside temperature reading?

I can't believe there is such a disparity. I feel like I am doing something wrong.

If anyone has instructions, I looked for a step by step tutorial on how to take temps properly using this device, but couldn't find anything.

THANKS IN ADVANCE. I want to try to get these temps exacted tonight!

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I think the outside temp is the sensor. The inside temp is a sensor on the unit itself.

It's made so you can put the unit on the window sill, and have the sensor outside the window.

130 is way too hot obviously. Aim for around 105. You might need to move the basking spot lower, or the light higher. I put our basking light on a dimmer switch, so I can adjust it.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, I am making HUGE progress.

I feel terrible. I had a measurement of 100 with the temp gun! So I was going around thinking the temps were great. No wonder my little guy has been in such a bad mood! At least the cool side of his tank was 80, so he did have escape, but geeze. Poor thing!

Okay, I am getting 101.3, which is good. I will keep adjusting to get to 105. It's my humidity levels I am dealing with right now. It's so strange, because I live in San Diego and we don't really have humidity here. But it is summer. I can't get below 37%! UGH. Will keep adjusting. His cool side is measuring at 79.3.

And he was VERY curious about the wire. I think he thought it was worms or some sort of snake-like creature because he spent an entire minute checking it out LOL!

He did really well last night. I am thinking with these corrections I'll see my little Doc in a better mood.

Thanks so much for your help, Goodtruant!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great that you got the AcuRite probe thermometer. Wow, the basking spot was 130? The temps are coming along nicely now. When you used the temp gun, were you only holding it 2" away from the area you were checking?

I wanted to make sure that you had the probe touching (resting on) the basking log or rock with the thermometer part way over on the bottom of the cool side. It could take 45 minutes or an hr for the temps to stop rising before you can get the final readings.

The humidity at 37% isn't too bad, if it was 45 or above, that would be more of a worry.

Let us know how you make out.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
diamc":a6nvo8zn said:
Great that you got the AcuRite probe thermometer. Wow, the basking spot was 130? The temps are coming along nicely now. When you used the temp gun, were you only holding it 2" away from the area you were checking?

I wanted to make sure that you had the probe touching (resting on) the basking log or rock with the thermometer part way over on the bottom of the cool side. It could take 45 minutes or an hr for the temps to stop rising before you can get the final readings.

The humidity at 37% isn't too bad, if it was 45 or above, that would be more of a worry.

Let us know how you make out.

Yes. 130! I cannot begin to tell you how absolutely TERRIBLE I feel about it. :( I didn't hold it 2" away. It was more like 6" as per the package instructions.

Okay - I put the probe right on the basking spot, and had the thermometer over on the cooler side of the tank. I reset, then measured my temps by waiting 45 minutes and 1 hour. They were the same. 79.3 in the cool and 101.3 in the basking.

On the down side:

My humidity went up to 45%! :shock: I don't get it? I am in San Diego. We really don't have humidity here. It's like 75 all the time. I guess I need a dehumidifier. I was told since it's a brand new thermometer, and I just switched out bulbs it could take a few days to get it right. I just don't want Doc getting sick!

Do you have a water dish? If you do, they don't really need one. A misting, or a bath will hydrate them.

I do not use a water dish at all. I only give him soaks and wet his greens. I don't even mist, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom