Tasting dirt?? Worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

discojan

Juvie Member
We had our little ones out in the garden today (one at a time, so the male doesn't get excited by the female), and our little boy started licking the dirt and looking like he wanted to taste it. I think he might have gotten a mouthful, before I picked him up and got him out of there. I know keeping them on sand is terrible for them (they're on ceramic tiles in their separate vivs), is organic garden dirt just as dangerous? He's not been pooping great lately (he's always had a bit of trouble since he was treated for parasites--they're all clear), and the urates are pretty white and hard. Are lizards like human children--they eat dirt because they are lacking some kind of vitamin? Our big girl never is interested in the dirt.

I'm beginning to worry about the garden, first the big one eats a bumble bee (never seen her move so fast!), now the little one eats a mouthful of dirt--it's a treacherous place for beardies even under supervision, but we know the sunlight is so good for them!
Our boy seems to enjoy pooping out in the wild.

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
Beardies taste everything, it's part of how they explore. As long as he only tasted a little he'll be fine, you just don't want him repeatedly eating it.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
THanks for your response. How common is it for them to eat dirt or bird poop or other such things found outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom