Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samchavles

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone, so there's an App called Tapatalk. Basically it's a forum app that makes browsing thousands of forums so much easier. They support many different formats, including PHPBB, which is what this site uses! The site owners simply need to register themselves with tapatalk,
Then everyone who has the app can browse these forums
Mobile!

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
It's not a matter of "registering". It requires changing the forum to "support" tapa talk. If Tapa Talk actually worked to support the software instead of pushing to be the other way around, it would be adopted sooner.

samchavles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh, my bad! I only assumed (making an ass out of myself clearly) that the site owner had to register because that's what someone told me. I guess it's true, not EVERYTHING on the Internet is true haha.
Sorry bout that, thanks for clearing it up!

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
No worries. :)

There is a way to do what they call "legacy installation", which only creates a display style that TapaTalk can use, but some functionality, including push notifications, are not supported with that. For the "cooler" features, it requires modifications to phpBB (what is commonly called MODs). It's the common way to extend phpBB functionality. Unforunately, the phpBB developers are lame because they never developed a true "plugin" architecture. MODs make keeping the base phpBB code updated MUCH more difficult.

Sometimes, having been a software developer for a chunk of my career makes me aware of how far short some software has fallen from where it could have been (phpBB included). :)

samchavles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow, that's a bummer. But for now, wouldn't legacy mode be an option at least? I mean I basically get a notification in an email from the forum every time. So until its supported, couldn't that work??

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I can look into it when I have some time. There is an alternative style currently in place to be more mobile friendly via mobile web browsers. Not as slick as TapaTalk, but a good first step.

samchavles

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cool! Thanks! Here's a pic of my smiling dragon to close the conversation haha
4EEmM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom