tank size for leopard geckos + temp Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Hi you guys

I have 3 leos that all live together in the same tank, haven't noticed any problems so far.

I want to get them a bigger tank though because the one they are in now is more square and a lot of space is wasted. I know where to get 40 gallon tanks online for cheap but I just wanted to be sure a 40 gallon would be ok. Would it be too big for the three? Would you guys recommend me finding a 30 gallon instead, or would the 40 gal. be ok or even better than a 30? Or an even bigger tank?

Oh also I was wondering if i need a heat lamp along with the heating pad? How hot should the air temp be on each side of the tank, and the ideal temp inside the hide above the heating pad?

thanks!

Sara :D

Bellalee

Juvie Member
40 would be a perfect size, I have 3 females in a 40 gallon and they seem to do ok. But you do need to watch for food aggression and fighting. You need to get a heat mat that corresponds to the 40 gallon size. People are on the fence about lights for leopards. But they only digest properly with belly heat. Above the UTH it should be 92-95, cool side around 80-ish. Hides, I would have a hide plus 2, so 5 hides total. I also have 2 moist hides, but one is being used as a toilet presently.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bellalee

Juvie Member
I would reccomend only getting 3 females. The market is flooded with leopard geckos, and taking care of hatchlings is tasking, whether it be beardies or leopards.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Umm i already own the geckos. Have has them for several years (and yes they are all similar sized females) I just had them in a temporary tank until i could buy a new one. Which I did last night :D

40 Gal. Breeder. Bellalee, would a normal 60 watt bulb do the trick?

Oh and before I can put together their new tank I need to clean some stuff, and was wondering the best way

I got some cool wood pieces from when I bought a tank on Craigslist, but IDK if they are from outside or not so I want to bake them. How high and how long?

I also have plastic plants (previously used) and water and food dishes (also previously used) that I want to clean before using them. What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks again!!

Sara

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oops, double post

Well anyways I can use this one to say yes, the 60 watt bulb works perfectly. the temp on the warm side above the heating pad is 93.

thanks again!

Sara

Bellalee

Juvie Member
Sounds good! :D

I wouldnt have been able to answer that anyways as I do not use a bulb on mine, I did have a full spectrum light.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
oh ok. Well the temps were not warm enough so I added the bulb last night. They are near a spot in the house that is cold in the winter probably because of poor insulating so it looks like I actually have to use my 100 watt heat bulb and a red light at night, probably just during the winter though.

Anyways, thanks for you help! The geckos new tank looks awesome and they seem happier in it. I also ordered them some hornworms for a christmas present. They are their favorites. They actually stop eating other food if I feed them hornworms for a few days because they only want hornworms :lol:

Thanks!
Sara

Oh, you said you did have a full spectrum light, does that mean you don't have your geckos anymore?

Bellalee

Juvie Member
No i took it off, I still have my 8! My temps are actually pretty good, your taking them the same with the beardies right???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom