Taming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paarthurnax1

Ok so I've had Paarthurnax for a year and a half, when I first picked it up at the pet shop it was very tamed as a baby, but when it got to my enclosure it turned aggresive and scared, which is why I had given up on him. I regretted that as I later found out that behaviour was normal, I've been trying to tame it again but I don't have much time as I had before due to my final years of highschool. But whenever I try to pick him up or put my hand near his beard he puffs up, he accepts food from my hand but never really let me touch him except for the tail, which doesn't last long anyway because he usually just moves away after awhile. Now he is also trying to get out of the cage, I would let him out to play but he had once escapes before( he did come back but I think thats because it was winter), and that he won't let me pick him up anyway. I have no idea what to do...

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Taming some dragons take longer then others. Keep doing what your doing. Try putting a shirt you have had on in his viv. This will help get him use to your smell. persistence is the key.

angelpaws

Hatchling Member
Hi, I know Im in this dicussion alittle bit late but Im having similar problems. My Zorro will not run from my hand and briefly will allow me to stroke his head but when i try to pick him up he runs. WHen I finally do grab he he flails around. Now that hes getting bigger, the little pionts at the corner of his head poke me when he flails and frankly - it hurts! I dont handle him daily decause of this. He sees me everyday, and will eat from my hand but Im upset that he hasnt taken to me yet.

He is the epitomy of health - eats lots of variety and poos well. I clean his cage and bathe him weekly.

How long can i expect this kind of behavior? He rarely turns black but will occassionaly gape if I persist. I've had him as a juvie (not the baby-babies, alittle bigger) and has always been fearful. I worry that he will become more aggressive as he ages and - when he gets bigger - I will end up becoming fearful of him. :(

Thanks for any info.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
It takes time to get a problem dragon tame. Just spend time every day working in it. There is no set time lol.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Another tip I haven't seen mentioned on this thread that I've seen mentioned on many others is to try and handle them at bedtime, when they are groggy and sleepy. Or even 15 or so minutes after lights out, they will be much more docile then when they're fully awake and alert.
After a few weeks of this type of interaction, you can try and integrate more day-time contact as well. Coming at them from above spooks them, generally things that come from above are predators.
Try to put your hand in on the other side of the tank and then slowly move towards the back-end of them, try not to approach the front that might trigger some defensive behaviour....
Just gage them and see how they react, if your scared and your trying to touch them thats a jerky hand thats giving off negative energy and they respond to that. Just remember your bigger then they are and you will ALWAYS have the upper hand, you are in no danger. :)

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah just being honest here and not picking on ya but if your gonna own a beardie you can't be scared of them. That's with any reptile. I've been bite and its really not that bad.

angelpaws

Hatchling Member
Thanks all for your input.
tgolden":26p6tclg said:
if your gonna own a beardie you can't be scared of them. That's with any reptile. I've been bite and its really not that bad.
By the way-no offense taken, I wouldve said it myself. Im a vet tech and I've had all types of animals that could inflict worst bites - I guess its his body language that Im still learning how to read. Its good to know their bites dont hurt that much - though Ive heard of some pretty nasty/bloody bites. :shock:

I purchased a HUGE tank that opens from the front and noticed an immediate difference in his response to me (he doesnt flinch anymore). I've always agreed that top opening tanks give the appearance of "looming" so I was glad to finally get around to this purchase. Time will tell I guess and I'll continue to handle him.

Here's a tip for ladies tho...dont wear sparkly nail polish when dealing with your beardie - they are highly attracted to it and will want to bite your finger-haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom