Taking your beardie out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woahamie

I had a question:

About how long can you have a beardie out of it's tank? Like, let's say you wanna walk around town with him, would that be a good idea to have him out for so long, or just go out with the public for a short period of time?

NightFury

Hatchling Member
Id say its best not to have them out longer than an hour if it isnt warm enough where you are taking him (like if its indoors somewhere)
On the other hand though it would do your beardie good to take him into direct sunlight for awhile when its nice and warm out, this way he gets plenty of UVB and UVA from the sun. Getting real sun exposure to your beardie can help improve his color and overall health :)

woahamie

Original Poster
So, im guessing that living in miami would be good for him >.< i guess i'll be enjoying the park more often!
i was just worried that exposure to the "outside" world would be bad after a long period of time.

would it be wise to bring some treats along, in case he becomes uneasy? or a small towel for him to hide in?

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I'd bring a small fleece throw to wrap him in if he becomes uneasy. They have great vision so it really trips them out to be out of the house IMO. He could run too, so it's best to have them on a harness.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Fluffy spent the day with me at work last month. She did great. I have an insulated backpack / lunchbox type thing that I loaded up with her fleece blankies and her snuggy. I brought a critter keeper of crickets and two small bowls with veggies. I also brought her bathtub which I could put crickets in and let her eat (double deep shoebox sized rubbermaid), and later I was able to set her in it and let her hang out in the sun for a while.

We are special, though... I live in SW Florida and it was over 80 that day. I work in a laundry / drycleaner and would put her blankie and snuggie in the dryer for a quick minute so she was always bundled up warm as she could be. Plus, my son came with me that day, so I had an awesome babysitter. I guess it goes without saying that I have one seriously awesome boss, too. :lol:

Anyway, the point is that if you are very conscientious about all of their needs, I don't see a problem with the occasional day out. I think I can manage another one in 2-3 months when season eases up and it's a bit warmer. It will be Figment's turn next time. So, that means 2-3 outings per year, per dragon?

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Basically they need about an hour before meals and about two hours after meals under the heat lamp to ensure propper digestion. As long as this basic need is met, they can be out of the tank, if temps and weather permits.

I totally agree on the benefits of natural SUNLIGHT, its amazing what it does to them, boosted energy levels, appetite increase.

And i have to agree on the harness also, they get these spur of the moment ideas to jump or run, and theyre really really fast and can get away from you so easlilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom