taking on another beardie ... choices choice ahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PADsMommy

I just finished reading all the posts on here and I just want to say thank you! Thank you for saving little Lexi!!! I was in tears when I was reading the earlier posts and seeing the first pictures of her. She looks so much better now....and happy! :blob5: Me and my boyfriend saved a dragon too. We bought her at a reptile show and she was very skinny, dehydrated, and lethargic. She is now fat and has some muscle to her. Alice is still very lazy though.....but we think that is just her demeanor....lol. Keep up the great work and I can't wait to read updates and see new pics!

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi!!! I'm so happy you are enjoying Lexi's journey!! I'm actually glad you posted on here, b/c last week I thought my post went through some new pics of her, and now i see it didn't post!!! Ahhhhhh! I will have to put them up again, what a bummer!!!

I sorry I put you in tears!!! It was absolutely heart breaking at first ... I mean sometimes when I look at her try to eat I still get sad, and her dislocated jaw swells up more and more these days. We still have those ups and downs, but one thing stays the same ... Her adorable outgoing personality!!!!

Oh I know all about lazy personality beardies lol, my other girl BlueBelle is one of them. Teehee. She lives to eat and lives to sleep. I love her and all her big fat beardieness though!

So WOW thank you for taking in your rescue dragon! I commend anyone that can deal with that and I commend any beardie that has the will to pull through the struggle to comeback to life. It's not easy, as you probably know all to well. It's nice to hear she is getting some muscle! Lexi has gotten some muscle in her back legs, and she can support herself when she walks, so some muscle growth is an EXCELLENT sign for Alice!! I'd love to see pics of Alice! Great name too ... I'm an Alice in Womderland buff, so I LOVE the name :)

Sounds like she went through a lot ... Takes a lot of one on one attention and round the clock care eh? Tiring and scary, but worth it as you see your dragon start to get healthy :)

Lexi's vet visit went pretty good for tje most part. He felt some new fat pads he had never felt before. Her tail is SO ,much thicker, and she is truckin right along. Her mouth is actually still very infected, we don't know if it will ever truly rid itself of the mouth rot because of all the damage to her jaws and gums, and her mouth not closing correctly. We are trying one more course of anti biotics, a different one than Baytril .... She is doing well on this antibiotic and only has a week left.
The plan is for her to get a bit of anesthesia so,that he can do a tiny lance on the cysts on her face and try to get the gunk out, and while she is under, he can really take a very good look inside her mouth. Planning on doing this I think the last week of Novemeber ... It's not cheap, nothing ever is ya know??? But I really really want the vet to get inside her mouth and be able yo yrly see the damage, and asses things for there. It's bad ... Grrrrrrrrrrr. This was all SO preventable.

Feel free to share details of your story with Alice, I love hearing about other people's experiences. Y'all are great people to take her In and get her back to a healthy place! Yay! Yay!qq

Esther I am sooooooooooo sorry to hear about Cissy!!!!! Thinking about you both ALOT. I'm so sorry Esther ... I've never heard of the Lou Gehrigs beardie version, but then agin there is so so so much I don't know. I know it's a sensitive topic and you get scared to think about it, so I will just say I'm sending much happiness to you both, and if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask, so so so so much love to you both Esther. We love ya lots.

Well, now that my pics post never came up, let me get cracking on putting them up.
Thank you for the sweet words and encouragement PADsMommy ... It means soooooooo much to means to Lexi. I actually did a side by side comparison picture from July and from Now. It really hit home on exactly what a horrid state she was in. I still don't know how's he made it 3 or 4 months. BUT I'd love too see and hear more about our sweet Miss Alice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Em

PADsMommy

I am sorry to hear that Lexi's mouth isn't getting better. I still can't believe all the damage that was caused to her. It is amazing that she has made it through all this.....she is definately a fighter! Yay Lexi :blob5: It makes me so angry :angry5: that there are people out there that can just neglect their pets. They all deserve to be locked up.
I am glad you like the name Alice! I don't know why we picked it....she just looked like an Alice....lol. My boyfriend and I were at a reptile show back in August and we went there looking to get a new dragon. We originally were not going to get Alice....we had another one picked out....but I said I wanted to hold her and take a look at her because I loved her color. So I held her and looked at her and she just gave me this look and when I tried to give her back she just crawled up my arm and wouldn't let go of me. It was like she was saying 'help me!'. So I told my boyfriend that I wanted her....so we bought her and took her home. We walked around the reptile show a little longer and started talking to someone else that was selling beardies and he asked to take a look at Alice....he said that she looked very dehydrated and slightly malnourished. He showed us how her tail bones were sticking out and that you could see her ribs. She was also VERY lethargic. She did not want to open her eyes and she wouldn't push herself up. She perked up a little when we got her in the car and let her sit in the sun. Once we got her home we soaked her in a bath for about 20 minutes, fed her some dubias, and let her bask. I brought her to the vet to get a check up. He said that she definately was dehydrated and he was worried because she wasn't holding herself up. She was given some fluids and a shot of Vitamin A or D (I can't remember). We continued to bathe her and her appetite increased greatly! She actually started chasing her food! :blob5: The next week we noticed she was coughing and wheezing. I brought her back to the vet and he diagnosed her with a respiratory infection. But he also said that he had noticed a difference in her since the week before. He said she was more active and looked like she was gaining weight. Now....Alice is the fattest of our dragons. She is very lazy though....lol....except when it comes to feeding time. But she has started climbing on things and she is getting muscles. My bf and I truely believe that we saved her. We also did some research on the people that we got her from and many people who bought dragons from them said that their beardies were all in similar conditions....which is very sad.

Here are 2 pictures of Alice the day we got her....they aren't great pics but I think you can get a general idea of how she was....
IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

And here is Alice today.....(look at those muscles....lol)
IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What a great difference, isn't it amazing what love & good care can do for a dragon? The people you bought her from should be shut down for such bad care, it's not fair to the dragon & yes, you saved her! I have a few rescues & it's always wonderful to watch them getting better! And yes, she does have muscles now, isn't it great? Congrats for picking her out. My youngest & latest rescue, Gabriel, chose me, too. He was at the pet shop I get my bugs from, in a 10 gallon tank, he'd been abandoned by his owners. I picked him up & he hid in my coat, so he came home with me. I already had a vet appointment for my eldest, so he was checked, no MBD, but skinny, dehydrated & full of parasites. There is a pic of him a few pages back, Mr Smug, he sure is happy to be in my house and he has 4 brothers that he loves to either wave at or black beard & bob to!
Thanks for the pics, it's wonderful to see another success story. Lexi is at the top of my list, though, she's been through so much & Emily has brought her a very long way.
Deb

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi y'all ...

Just wanted to let everyone know Lexi is having surgery tomorrow ... A very large cyst has developed beneath her broken jaw ... The vet is pretty sure it is a cyst full of infection from her mouth rot, it's just the worst case of mouth he has seen, poor thing, she can't catch a break from her poor mouth!!! So she will go under anesthia tomorrow, and the cyst will be lanced. I have decided to bypass on the cyst lancing of the one on her face right now, it's been there forever, and hasn't changed or grown. If he will lance that one without the price going up as much as it already, then I suppose I will have him go ahead and do that one as well. These are all related to her raging stomatitis ... And he will get a really good look inside her mouth while she is under tomorrow. All we know right now is that it is pretty much all bone in there with pockets of infection causing these cysts. I'm so bummed my picture post never got posted!!! Such awesome pics I had up. I need to do it again so y'all can see Lex :)
:banghead:
I Guess i never hit submit. Duhhhhhhhhh.
But this cyst beneath her jaw is HUGE now, and although she is acting like her silly sweet self, it's something that kinda scary considering how much gook must be in this thing!!! It doesn't SEEM to bother her too much if I touch it, she will pull back a little, which isn't like her at all. I feel like I've done something wrong along the way, because this was not there when I rescued her. So it makes me think, man, is it something I let happen??? But the vet is reassuring me that this would have happened no matter what because of the severity of her mouth rot/jaw displacement.
Sooooo I am a little nervous that she will be ok under anesthesia!! He says she is healthy enough to handle it, but she will be in MORE antibiotics after this, and I really hope the healing time on it is quick and I hope it heals well. He says there be a small slit opening there after he lances it, but I don't know exactly what the post surgery care afterwards is yet.
I worry about Lex so much ya know? This thing just got so massive sooooo fast. But I wanted to let y'all know she is going under tomorrow. Hopefully he can also clean out any of the ick in her mouth is well. I don't know for sure ...
But that Alice story was wonderful .... Thank you for sharing!!! She is realllllllly pretty!!!!! Beautiful dragon she is! Thanks for helping her ... I bet she loves you so much!
And Deb, thinking about you and the boys all the time as always :) hope they are well!!!!! How is Lonzo??
I will keep you posted on the surgery and what the vet says tomorrow, if all goes well I can pick her up around 6pm tomorrow. I hope she doesn't have to stay!
Much love, Em

AmberC

Hatchling Member
Poor lexi has the worst luck. Hopefully he'll be able to clean her mouth out really well! I'm definitely waiting for updates.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thank you so much!! Yea her mouth is really a tough one to treat. I know HOW it got this way, but i will never understand WHY it was allowed to get this way
Ya know? But maybe this will turn out good... fingers crossed!!!

PADsMommy

Poor little Lexi....I am sure everything will go well tomorrow. She will be in my thoughts and I will be waiting to hear an update on her. She is quite the little fighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom