Tail rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my first bearded dragon, I am not an expert by any means but have tried to do a lot of reading and research lately to determine what is going on with his tail. From what I've read it really kind of looks like tail rot to me. It gets blacker toward the end of the tail and at the very end the tissue doesn't seem to be healthy. It also has some weird curves in it. Anyway, I dont' know what to do I've heard this can kill them and definitely don't want that to happen! I don't have a reptile vet near me. Please help!

[img]http://i1051.photobucket.com/a.../albums/s433/ellieferland1/bdf2a34b.jpg[/img]

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not an expert, but my advice would be to get to a vet asap. I can't think of anything else you can really do for a condition like this, if in fact it's what you're dealing with. However you won't know for certain if it is in fact tail rot without the help of a vet. If it is and you get him to a vet straight away you probably have better chances and more options for recovery.

-Kaleen

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
I am guessing you like me living in a small town. Still take him to the normal vet as an emergincy and even if they don't know they can call in favors from there friends. Because vets normally have vet friends and they can call to ask questions. My vet has done that for me. And has also done a lot of resesrch for when i bring my little guy in. I hope this helps. Because i vet is still a vet. No matter what animal it is they are supost to try snd help the best they can

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
Soak his tail in Hydrogen Peroxide (get it from your pharmacy) and soak it for a good 10 -15 minutes 3-4 times a day. Nero started to develop this, and what I read is that it is the dead skin from earlier sheds that has not peeled off and it starts to constrict blood flow to the tail tip. If you have a herp vet, that is best, I'm not sure about a regular vet, don't know if they know anything, I just know the vets around me said "bring him in, we'll see what we can figure out." I did not, I followed the instructions I found (sorry don't remember where, either a book or website) and we worked through it without incident. There is a moderator on this board named Tracy, she is like the Rockstar of Beardiology and seems to have spot on answers to almost everything. Hope she picks this up on her radar :)

mgodfriaux

Hatchling Member
No no never hydrogen peroxide it eats away the good tissues as well as the dead one you must be thinking betadine mixed in their bath water to look like week tea. ... and the tail tip looks like it was pinched at some point it will probably fall off on its own if it does do betadine soaks but don't let him drink the water neosporine on the end once it falls off probably wouldn't hurt either

Beanie42

Juvie Member
Looks like a tail nip from his/her cage mates. to tell the diff look at the rest of the tail can you see any thick or discoloured scales? if so time for the vets if not good soaking and it will fall off on its own...keep a good eye on it though if it appears to get worse tall to a vet asap.

beardedwizardlizard

Original Poster
Ok, so I have to post a couple more pictures because his tail has changed. It now seems that there is a definite line in the color from his body to his tail. Strangest thing, and I still don't know what it is or what to do about it. Like I said, we don't have a reptile vet anywhere close. Or I'd just take him in to at least get it looked at. I did call a vet that was a few hours away and talked to the receptionist. She said that the discoloration can happen when they are going to shed sometimes. But the fact that he has a small curve/kink may indicate that the tail is broken. She said the very end of the tail having the appearance of dead tissue may cost a few hundred dollars to have it removed surgically, which I don't have! I am a nursing student and I don't work very much. Anyway, here are some more pictures. Let me know if anyone else has seen anything like this. All of your input is very appreciated!
85b99f88.jpg

d48bf692.jpg

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
mgodfriaux":3udel4vv said:
No no never hydrogen peroxide it eats away the good tissues as well as the dead one you must be thinking betadine mixed in their bath water to look like week tea
Based on what? It was not betadine, it was peroxide to break down the dead skin that is constricting the tip of the tail.

Never say never

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom