Tail problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, been a member for years but recently got a new bearded we call Toothless. I got him from pet smart and he was a "fancy" one. Still unsure on his morph but it doesn't seem very distinct.

His tail was messed up when I got him, but wanted to know your thoughts on what I should do.

Here's a pic
b06JYC6.jpg

F5L7Ed2.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....Toothless is a cutie, looks like a beautiful red leatherback. :) Can you post a few more pics of his tail ? The entire tail laid out as straight as possible. Was it mangled in some way, is it crooked or just hasn't shed ? You can put some pure aloe gel on it [ no added ingredients ] but if it's something serious he may need further treatment.

EightFingers

Original Poster
Had to upload and post from my phone so I thought I'd respond online.

His tail is so thin so it's quite hard to take a pic but I believe the last one is good. I'm not entirely sure what happened as that's how I bought him. It looks crushed to me though.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good pics.... that part of the tail end is definitely dead , some type of trauma as you suspected, either was crushed or had a severe retained shed that restricted blood flow. It may fall of on it's own or may need to be amputated. Watch it like a hawk to be sure any infection doesn't travel further up, if that happens you would want to get to a vet ASAP and they would amputate. Beardies can adapt very well with missing limbs or part of the tail gone so if it comes down to that he should be O.K

EightFingers

Original Poster
AHBD":226ca8ah said:
Good pics.... that part of the tail end is definitely dead , some type of trauma as you suspected, either was crushed or had a severe retained shed that restricted blood flow. It may fall of on it's own or may need to be amputated. Watch it like a hawk to be sure any infection doesn't travel further up, if that happens you would want to get to a vet ASAP and they would amputate. Beardies can adapt very well with missing limbs or part of the tail gone so if it comes down to that he should be O.K

Thank you for this information. Do you think I should go to a vet now or wait? Or since I just got him Sunday, should I just bring him back to PetDepot and get a healthy one?

EightFingers

Original Poster
Ok, So I called PetSmart. I explained the situation and they are going to take him back. I know that sounds awful, but after a ton of research I just can't bring myself to spending a couple hundred on a vet visit the first week I've had him.

On a VERY positive note, they explained they will be taking him to the vet to get his tail amputated and the company is going to cover the bill. That makes me feel so much better he will be taken care of!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That sounds like a win -win situation. :) Hopefully he'll recover well under their care, maybe you could even inquire on adopting him after he's healed up. But of course you may just want a fully tailed healthy baby which is understandable. Anyway, I'm glad that they will take care of him and you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom