Tail falling off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpion71

Hey. I don't know if this has been asked before I couldn't find anything.I am worried about my bearded dragon. Since 2 weeks it looks like he has some deep black spots on his tail and it looks like the tip will fall off. Help is appreciated, thanks.

Amanda123

Ok, it could be because he may be stressed but let. E ask a few questions
How long have you had him
What is the teperature
Does he have warm side and cool side
Has he been eating lately
Does he ever drink water
Is he acting normal
- Amanda

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....the pics aren't showing up. You need to load them to a site like Photobucket, then copy/paste the img here.

Scorpion71

Original Poster
Thanks for replying. I have fixed the image.
The cold side is around 86 degrees and the hot side around 104. I've had him for about 2 months and I have never seen him drink, but I do spray him with water everyday. I feed him 10 crickets a day and some carrots(occasional worms). He eats a lot and he's active.
Thanks

Amanda123

GREAT! Everything seems perfect! I think it might fall of but bearded dragons tails are meant to fall of when threatened so wouldn't be to worried if it fell off but if it does be sure to keep it clean to prevent infection! Good luck!

- Amanda

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It does look like the tail will fall off so keep an eye on it and apply some antibiotic cream some days, aloe gel other days. [ Must be pure aloe with nothing added ] There is trauma to the tail, possibly retained shed has cut in to the tail. It may end up falling off, but if it at any time looks infected, get to a vet ASAP. Beardies are not one of the lizards that drops it's tail for defence, the many lizards that do so have the ability to regrow their tail [ though it never looks as good as the original '] But beardies do not drop their tails naturally, only because of trauma/injury.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a horribly retained shed on the tail. He will most likely lose a good portion of his tail. How long has it been in that condition?
Unfortunately, once they lose their tail it wont grow back.

Tracie

Scorpion71

Original Poster
So it is most likely going to fall off. I will put some cream on it every day to try to heal it. If It falls off will it hurt him? Should I do anything? It's been like that for a couple of weeks.
Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Give a daily bath to help with hydration & you can use shea butter, aloe vera gel or antibiotic ointments on it to help.
It most likely wont hurt him when it falls off if there aren't any raw areas exposed.
Let us know how it is looking.

Tracie

Scorpion71

Original Poster
I put some cream on and bandages to keep it straight.
imagejpg1_zps2f415ea2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom