Tail falling off?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
So just out of the blue, the tip of my beardie's tail turned black and hard, and we swore it was going to fall off on its own. It hasn't, and for a while her tail turned a bloody red color so we were putting antibiotics on it. The color went down, but now there's a patch of sickly white where it should be tan colored, and I was peeling off dead skin today near the end and it seems like the black hardness is traveling down her tail.

Quick fyi, when she was a baby she had a kink at the end of her tail where her tip didn't get much circulation, however it was still healthy and she grew up perfectly fine with her kink.

We thought maybe she had some skin stuck that ended up killing the circulation finally, but the blackness is spreading past the kink. Is this some sort of disease? I'm worried that it's going to take much more of her tail, and I would amputate it but I couldn't bear to put her in that kind of pain...plus the possibility of it getting infected.

What can I do? It seems like the black hard skin is all dead...should I let it fall off on its own or get it amputated? It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain but it's scaring me a little...

Momomo

Hatchling Member
Take her to the vet ASAP.. this sounds like tail rot and it could kill your beardie in no time if the infection keeps spreading.

EDIT: Ok, the picture doesn't look as bad as you described it..but still won't hurt to take her to a vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Damie....your description sounded bad, but the pics don't look too worrisome. You might just keep applying the a.b. cream and see how it does. One very important thing to mention, never pull the skin, especially if you suspect an injury or trauma to the area. You can cause more damage doing that. The whitish part just appear to be her banding, her natural color. Some of my beardies have that. So, it doesn't look bad at all, if it gets worse or travels up the tail quickly then do as was suggested and see a vet....but right now it looks manageable. You might also try a 10 minute betadine soak. Get the betadine watered down to look like weak tea, then put some in a small jar like a pill bottle or empty yogurt cup and just stick the end of her tail in while you hold her [ if she'll let you ] Then after it dries put the a.b. cream on. But please don't pull anymore skin ! She'll probably be fine.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So it looks like her tail got worse over the course of 2 or less days...It hadn't changed a bit since I first made this post but out of the blue it's started going up her tail and has taken a good 1 1/2 inches. I've started 10 minute betadine soaks twice a day and wrapping her tail in antibiotic ointment. I just started this last night so I'm really hoping both will help.

If her tail does heal, what do I do with the dead part? Should I let it fall off on its own or try to snip off the black crunchy bits? At this point I don't want to take her to the vet because more than likely the vet will have to cut off past the dead part, rendering her with half a tail and if I can stop the infection with medication first I'd prefer that.

sebby757

I would not cut anything yourself, you could cause a lot of pain and more damage. If it appears that it is spreading, you should take her to a vet. Even if the vet decides amputating is the best option..it would be much better for the beardie then to suffer.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm going to call the Skadron Animal hospital (great with reptiles) for an amputation....question. I've heard from people that anaesthetic can actually kill a bearded dragon? Something about incorrect doses used. Should I tell the vet not to use painkillers then? I don't want her to be in pain :( Most vets use a sedative if the reptile is antsy, Damien is very calm and docile...but I would like to use some sort of painkiller if it's safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeb
Top Bottom