T8 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smackey2

Hatchling Member
My husband surprised me with a brand new enclosure for Spike. 36 L 18 W 12 H.
We were using a Mercury Vapor Bulb for her heating and UVB.
With the new enclosure, it came with a zoo med reptihood. He also bought a reptisun 10.0 t8 bulb that is also 36 inches long, same as the enclosure.
(This is not my ideal setup but i didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise as it was a very nice surprise to come home too! I want an even bigger one than this, but again I didn't have the heart to say so.)

My question: I know everyone recommends the t5 as it has a higher output, but Spike's enclosure DOES NOT have a mess lid on it. So, will the t8 be ok for her since the tank isn't all that tall and there isn't a mess lid in the way? (Yes it did come with a lockable lid, but it will only be on the tank while her lights are off and everyone is sleeping and she can't be supervised. It will be removed in the morning when all of her lights are turned back on.)

Also, Spike is only roughly 2.5 months old, 9 inches long. Still a baby. I also already had a different light for her basking. It is a 100 watt, 107 on the hot side under her light 85 in the middle of her tank and roughly 79 on the cool side. I also use a digital thermometer with a prob on the end... Just to clarify.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
A T8 will be fine but the difference is like being in the sun versus the shade. Dragons are sunworshipers which is why T5s get recommended, they are brighter and have more UVB which is just better suited to dragons.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the T5 is better. It also comes down to distance. A T8 isn't much use at all beyond about 7-8 inches so it's better suited to a small enclosure (20g for example) where it's easy to build a basking spot within 6'' of the top. As Taterbug mentioned, the output from the T5 is much closer to sunlight levels of UVB when at appropriate distance about 12'' or so) than a T8 is at it's optimal distance of around 6''.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom