T-rex solar drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessd123

has anyone ever heard of these? i actually just bought some from the local pet store it is supposedly supposed to be "liquid uvb" ive never heard of it and i cant buy a uvb bulb/fixture right now... because i am on a tight budget at the moment... i've been looking for one that fits into a regular clamp lamp because i have a really nice one... and dont want to spend money on another fixture... i mean i will if i have to unless these drops are as awesome as they claim to be lol. but honestly i just want to know if anyone has tried/heard of these... or if you know of a good site where i can find a good uvb bulb to fit into a clamp lamp?
thanks!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
It's liquid calcium, fairly strong I believe. It will not replace UVB, don't let the label fool you. Liquid calcium is more readily absorbed by the body and it probably has D3 but I'm not 100% on that. Be careful not to over dose your dragon on them. If you don't have a UV light right now, try to get your dragon in the sun as much as possible. Remember, UVB stimulates the production of D3 in the skin which then helps the body absorb/metabolize calcium. A dragon can go without UVB for short periods but it will cause problems if they go too long. When you get a UVB bulb, if you use a fluorescent tube you will need calcium with D3 because a these bulbs are like being in diffused sunlight during the day. If you get a mercury vapor bulb, the UVB is more intense and causes the body to produce D3 naturally so you need calcium without it. Please try to get a UV bulb as soon as possible. Some dragons are more suseptible to mbd than others and it is harder to reverse it than to prevent it. If you can get your dragon in natural sunlight every day or two for an hour or two, you can probably go a week or two. It also depends on the age of your dragon, if they are very young they need more calcium for proper growth. If it is an adult they need less to maintain.

Jessd123

Original Poster
wow i feel like such an *****.. i dont think we have ever had a proper uvb bulb... i have just a regular floecsent tube light i didnt think we needed it though because he has plenty of basking lights and the pet store never told me anything about the uvb lights. he is 5 months old and i've used nothing but uva.. i never really knew there was a difference and nobody at the petstore ever told me this either... i bet u that is why our little girl did not make it... well i am going to borrow money from somebody today and get this done as soon as possible.. i feel so stupid... i hope no damage has been done...

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
He will be fine. If he isn't showing any adverse affects that are noticeable, its a good thing. You may want to keep him on liquid calcium for a few months for therapeutic reasons, just be sure to dose him properly. Tracie, one of the awesome moderators here can help you if you need it with the dosage. And be sure to check out the nutrition page at http://www.beautifuldragons.com and learn about the calcium to phosphorus Ca:p ratios in the veggies so he's good there too. And don't forget to keep us updated and post pics! Cheryl

Jessd123

Original Poster
i just went out and bought a good uvb light for him today and he seems to be a lot more active... even with his injured leg. as for the liquid calcium is that the solar drops? i will def check out the dosage instructions and wont give him any until i do... i do keep him on plenty of calcium dust though... maybe even a little more than i should every day to every other day.. should i still dose him with the calcium drops too? i dont wanna over due it... he is growing very nicely the only problem we've ever experienced with him was a swollen leg and ever since then we've just been taking extra good care of him... i will be honest i just joined this site a few days ago and i never had a uvb light... and ir eally doubt petsmart had one... so just get back to me and let me know i dont wanna overdo the supplements

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
This is more a question for a bd.org pro but you shouldn't do both. Without a blood test we don't know his calcium levels for sure. Just do one or the other because he can get too much and that's not good either. If he is active and seems healthy, just keep doing what you have been. Or you could rotate, use the liquid one day and dust the other, just in case he needs it. It's up to you. Looks like you're good to go now!

Jessd123

Original Poster
awesome thanks so much for all ur advice... for now im just continuing the powdered supplements until i know exactly what to do with the calcium drops, but i have great news! his colors are more vibrant than they ever have been, the swelling in his leg went down almost to the size of the other leg, he's been glass dancing alot more and just seems overall happier and more active with that new light on him. i never realized how much of a difference that would make. thanks so much. heres a pic of him. he doesnt look too happy in it though cuz he just woke up.

bog.jpg

thank u guys so much for all you hep!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Oh my, he is adorable! He looks nice and fat too. I love his markings and colors. You've been doing something right. It's all worth it in the end. I dare not add up all the money I've spent on dragons, food and housing, I know its somewhere around 2k now. Better than a drug habit I guess. lol

Jessd123

Original Poster
lol yeah im trying to be a good mommy! thanks for the compliment on him, he is a lady killer i must say. every time we have him out of his tank if my husband has him, he always runs to a lady. must be a pimp thing. lol. and can u believe that he has flourished that much without a single day of uvb?! judging by how much they need it... i cant believe it either. he used to be a hell of alot smaller than the other one, but then tripled in size and our little girl just stopped growing and unfortunately did not make it... yeah the list of money spent on these little dudes is pretty much on going, i bet a drug habit would cost alot less lol. im sure there are people out there that do both! lol i would like their paycheck. no drug can give u the high/satisfaction of keeping these guys happy and healthy though.

Jessd123

Original Poster
l_6a78527b4af44fa48f837f0e2566830e.jpg

here is a pic of them when they were babies. he was the small one.. like i said though he tripled in size and she stopped growing... i miss her. =( she was so cute.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Aww, thats a bummer. Our first pair ended up the same way, that was 10 years ago and I was clueless about the dominance factor. We have learned so much and are more capable than ever of taking the best care of them. I like my beardie addiction, best drug I've ever found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom