Swollen hand, splinter, and no nearby vet assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griff5505

Beardie name(s)
Grif
I came home from work today and I noticed that Grif was favoring her front left leg, when I picked her up I saw that it was swollen. She was fine last night before I went to bed and she was fine when I left for work. One of her fingers appears to be a little bent and it looks like there's a splinter in it. She does have a pain response if I touch it, but I'm very worried about what to do. The only vet office near me that handles beardies has no way of seeing her for 3 weeks and the next closest is 2 hours away.

Is there anything I can do for her at home? Any way to get the splinter out that won't make it worse?

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_145710996_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220317_145710996_HDR.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20220317_145809649_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220317_145809649_HDR.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220317_145721634_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220317_145721634_HDR.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 75

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I came home from work today and I noticed that Grif was favoring her front left leg, when I picked her up I saw that it was swollen. She was fine last night before I went to bed and she was fine when I left for work. One of her fingers appears to be a little bent and it looks like there's a splinter in it. She does have a pain response if I touch it, but I'm very worried about what to do. The only vet office near me that handles beardies has no way of seeing her for 3 weeks and the next closest is 2 hours away.

Is there anything I can do for her at home? Any way to get the splinter out that won't make it worse?
@AHBD
@Drache613

SPandS

Juvie Member
How would she have gotten a splinter? It actually looks more like the skin is split open and a little bloody but it could just be the pic. Can you also show a pic of her from further away just to get an overall look at her? For now I would put some raw unpasteurized honey or original neosporin on it so it doesn't get infected.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with D
SandP, that's a cut but for some reason it seems to have caused infection + quite a swelling in the foot. Raw honey is good but I think the foot needs to be seen if the infection has caused such swelling.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look a bit painful! You could try soaking the hand in some epsom salts a couple of times daily. As suggested, use some raw,
unpasteurized honey on it for now to help with infection. Getting her to a vet would be a good idea, I hope you are able to do that soon!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hello,
I agree with Tracie. You should get her in as soon as possible if it's an infection. You could put some unpasteurized raw honey or Neosporin on it to make her comfortable while your trying to get a reptile vet

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just checking in, to see how your girl's hand was doing? Any changes thus far?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom