Swollen eye, no 24 hour reptile vets **Update**

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobotta

Hatchling Member
When we went to feed Spike we noticed his right eye was swollen and he would or could not open it. We gave him a bath and cleaned it out with just water as best as we could. When we checked on him a few hours later there was a liquid coming out of it. We again cleaned it out. His whole eye area is so swollen and now he will open it for a few seconds but mostly keeps closing. Saturday evening was the first time we noticed it and the swelling seems to have gone down a little, but not much. Please help. Thank you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of substrate are you using, is it a loose substrate or a solid particulate?
What UVB light & basking light do you have for him?
A picture would be helpful, but if it is that infected a vet visit is needed as soon as you can get him in.
Continue washing it out to help. If you can get some sterile saline solution to put in the eyes to help as well. An antibiotic eye ointment may be helpful, too.

Tracie

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update on Spike. We were able to find a vet 3 hours away who was able to see him. She clened his eye out and perscribed him tobramycin drops which we put in twice a day. We then took him in to our regular vet on Wednesday. The swelling in his eye started to go down but just incase he also perscribed an oral antibiotic called enrofloxacin. Dr Gary did notice his mouth was a little yellow but wasn't sure if it was just his color morph so he wanted to see how he did on the new meds and take blood in a week to see if his liver was failing or it was just his natual coloring. Sadly my beautiful little boy passed away yesterday. He made it exactly one week from when he started showing signs that something wasn't right. He was mine and my husbands first rescue together and he lived only about 3 1/2 years.

RIP Spike, I will always love and miss you dearly!

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is a pic of both our babies who have since passed away. Spaz is on the left, she had Gout and Spike is on the right. My beautiful baby boy. May you both rest in peace together.

photobucket-21612-1338859485576.jpg

This picture was taken on 8/29/11. We had to make that heart wrenching decision to put her to sleep on 11/15/11.

Suzan

OMG I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. I JUST READ YOUR STORY AND IT IS SO SAD.
HE MAY OF HAD A SHORT LIFE BUT A WONDERFUL ONE WITH YOU.
GOD BLESS,
SUZAN :(

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. My husband keeps saying we did everthing we could because the blood work wouldn't have come back before he let go, but I still feel like I should have noticed something sooner or that there had to be something we could have done. It sucks because at this point we have no idea what it was or if there really was anything we could have done. After spending close to 400-500 in one week between the vets and meds we can't afford an autopsy. He is buried with Spaz now in the backyard. I now hate going outside! I'm sure it doesn't help that I am 6 months pregnant with out first so obviously overly emotional but losing 2 in less then 7 months sucks!

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
sobotta":iytcvu1h said:
Thanks everyone. My husband keeps saying we did everthing we could because the blood work wouldn't have come back before he let go, but I still feel like I should have noticed something sooner or that there had to be something we could have done. It sucks because at this point we have no idea what it was or if there really was anything we could have done. After spending close to 400-500 in one week between the vets and meds we can't afford an autopsy. He is buried with Spaz now in the backyard. I now hate going outside! I'm sure it doesn't help that I am 6 months pregnant with out first so obviously overly emotional but losing 2 in less then 7 months sucks!

I replied to your PM, but I want to tell you I know what you are going through. Please do not feel guilty. When Pudgy got lymphoma this community helped keep me together because I was falling apart. I felt so guilty feeling like it happened because I used the wrong bulbs, or fed her the wrong things. My vet kept reassuring me it was nothing I did. That these things just happen. {{BIG HUGS}} to you. You did everything you could. Don't beat yourself up.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I think you did good to keep him alive as long as you did. Sometimes rescues have health issues that aren't seen until it's too late, other beardies sometimes have something wrong with them crop up suddenly when nothing was wrong before and then it's too late. It wasn't anything you did, I'm sure.

sobotta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
PudgysMom":251gcirx said:
sobotta":251gcirx said:

I replied to your PM, but I want to tell you I know what you are going through. Please do not feel guilty. When Pudgy got lymphoma this community helped keep me together because I was falling apart. I felt so guilty feeling like it happened because I used the wrong bulbs, or fed her the wrong things. My vet kept reassuring me it was nothing I did. That these things just happen. {{BIG HUGS}} to you. You did everything you could. Don't beat yourself up.

I didn't realize you were reading this thread before I sent you the PM. I'm doing my best to try realize we did everything we could but it just sucks. He was my baby (he would run from my husband lol) and the last one I thought I could handle losing. Not to mention its been a month from hell. One thing after another it seems. I just want it all to end...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:
That is so hard, but sometimes, there just is not a whole lot that you can do.
We are all here if you need us.

Tracie

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry for your loss. Beardies are experts at keeping their illnesses a secret. In the wild, that helps predators from identifying their weakness. Unfortunately, in many cases, it prevents us from knowing how sick they are until it is too late. How fortunate Spike was to have been rescued by you and your husband, and to have had many good years being loved and cared for.
Hugs, Esther

F0rger

Going through that much trouble to care for your failing dragon is really touching. I'm sorry for your loss, and if you care for your firstborn as much as you do your pets, it sounds like you'll be an excellent mom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom