Switching to another staple for a baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got my baby (a month and a half-ish) and the shop that I got him from was feeding him x-small meal worms. Now I know that this is a no go so I have been switching him to crickets. The first day (Monday) he ate about 15 crickets, yesterday he wouldn't eat any, and I'm been trying to experiment today.

I gave him a bath (which he loved). He was interested in eating any crickets, so I dangled a very small meal worm that the shop gave me over his head and he went nuts for the thing. I let him have it because I feel bad that he isn't eating, however, he is not getting any more meal worms because I know the dangers of them. Now I did also give him a black soldier fly larvae yesterday which he gobbled up in a heart beat. I ordered 500 more but they won't be here until Friday.

Are babies normally this picky? Does it just take time for him to switch to a new food? How many days can he go without eating (although he has eaten a little each day)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Depends on the dragon --- if you want a good staple protein food try dubia roaches -- they are better for them and dont give parasites / worms like crickets-- they are a lot easier to keep as well -- they need to be dusted w/ calcium d3 and vitamins like your crickets--- he should be eating as many as he can in 10-15 minutes or so -- dubias about 6-8 they are more filling --- 1 dubia = 6 crickets-- if hes eating that many at a time he may only eat once a day - they say feed them twice a day-- he should be offered greens although he may not eat much being hes a baby and their main diet at this time is bugs-- but offer him mustard collard and turnip greens -- about a year his diet will go to mainly greens w/ bugs maybe once or twice a week - meal worms are a NO NO -- they are too hard on their digestion system -- The black fly larvae are good they are high in calcium and dont need to be dusted-- yes they are all picky you just haft to figure out what they like and dont like --- mine does not like super worms-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom