Switching from MVB to UVB tube/basking bulb... please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
With the rising summer heat here in Texas, I'm having a hard time keeping the girls' temperature gradient correct as the ambient temp is so high. My house is hardly dropping below 78 degrees with the AC running 24/7. I am currently using Powersun 160w lights for both of my 4'x2'x2 tanks. I have already tried using a lamp stand to get the temps a bit lower, but they're still 5-10 degrees too high... like what the temps should be for baby dragons instead of adults. I am assuming my only real option is to switch to a Reptisun 10.0 tube + basking bulb set up in order to better control the temperatures. I think I'll be needing two of the 36" UVB lights to meet the 2/3 tank length rule.

My question is... what kind of fixtures/mounting devices can I use for the Reptisun 36" UVB tube, here >>>
http://www.beardeddragons.co/beardeddragon/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=52

Also, what kind of basking bulb should I use? What wattage, color, and type (soft white, yellow, bright white, etc) considering my tank size and ambient temperature?

I would really appreciate any kind of help you can offer. I don't know what else to do for my dragons right now : /

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
For basking use a clear or bright white bulb. You can use a normal incandescent household bulb, or a basking bulb.

I'd start with a 100-150w bright white bulb. Cheap and easy to find. I have our basking light on a dimmer, so I can adjust it. Liek this... http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-TT-300NLH-BL-Credenza-Dimmer-Black/dp/B00024BJZE/ref=pd_cp_hi_1, it will allow you to control the temp a bit. You could also put it on a thermostat, so it will shut off if it gets too hot, and turn back on when it cools. Your UVB will be on, and as long as the temp is good, your beardie is fine. I use one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1339654006&sr=1-1-catcorr I also have all the lights on a timer, that way I don't have to worry about any of the lights at all! The UVB and basking light turns off at 9:30pm every night. Our thermostat is hooked up to a CHE, and kicks on if the temps drop below 67ish at night....since we live in WA, and have the opposite temperature problems you do. :p

The UVB light should be about 6-10" away from where he basks. That way he can soak in UVB while getting warmed up, much like he's doing under the powersun you have now.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom