Swelling at Base of tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopestar23

Hatchling Member
Hi,

My beardie just woke up from a very long brumation cycle and last night I noticed, that there is a lot of swelling at the base of his tail, i.e. where he poops from. I have no idea what this is, and it seems to be affecting his bowels, because he quite involuntarily pooped some very running stuff onto me.

Does anyone know whats going on?

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures to post for us?
What type of substrate are you using, sand, tiles, paper towels?
How often do you use calcium supplementation? Are you using a UVB light, & if so, what type & brand do you use?

It sounds like it could be an impaction possibly, but a picture would be helpful.

Tracie

Dopestar23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's on carpet, so there isn't much chance of him eating sand and such. I do on occasion take him outside, but he never eats anything he's not suppose to. I am also feeding him calcium, and his light is a Retiglow 10.0. I know the light can be harsh, but where I am it's the only light I can regularly find.

I'll try to get a pic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What do you feed him?
A picture would be very helpful, when you can get one posted for us. Thanks.
Is the swelling internal, or external?

Well, the Reptiglo 10 is not just harsh, it just does not really emit the best wavelength of UVB to help keep the bones strong.

Tracie

Dopestar23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I feed him mealworms, both regular and giants. The swelling looks to external. His butt really looks puffy and if you touch it, some poop comes trickly out. I will try and get some pics tonight, but I am at work right now.

As for the light, I plan on replacing it, as soon as I can get to the damned shop.

Dopestar23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here are the pictures.

100_0034.jpg

100_0035.jpg

Hope they provide some insight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ah, yes, it looks to be almost a prolapse. He could be partly calcium deficient, but I do think he should see the vet and have a blood test to see what his calcium levels are.

Tracie

Dopestar23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks all for the help. Will be taking care of it, probably only take him to vet this weekend... Also saw on another post that I could try soaking him in sugar water.

Will try to keep you guys posted. Again thanks for the help. Wouldn't have known what this was until to late...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you can try to soak him in a cool sugar water solution to see if that will help with any of the swelling or not.
Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Thanks.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiegates
Top Bottom