Superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
So I've been feeding Hemingway superworms for a while as a staple. I haven't been feeding him anything else, protein wise. I've ordered some hornworms and mealworms to give him a variety. I was feeding him dubias and tried to start a colony but couldn't get it going and it started to smell. When he got coccidia and pinworms, I was told that those could've been what gave the parasites to him so I stopped feeding them to him. I want to try crickets but am not sure how to store them and I'm afraid they'll smell. Hemingway has seemed to be doing great on the superworms and is still gaining weight and growing at 1 year, 376g, and almost 18 in. He's been pooping well. But another concern is that he still doesnt take much interest in his veggies. He'll eat one or two pieces of collard greens and thats it. I give him superworms every 2nd day and veggies everyday. Usually a daily salad will consist of collard greens, some parsley, and some squash to top.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
i learned that the hard way. the reason your beardie is nor eating his veggies because he gets used to the worms, and supers are like dessert, chocolate or something sweet. they are rich in fat that dragons love and cannot resist!
depending where you get your bugs, if you get it a pet store, they probably in a crappy environment with other small bugs etc.
crickets, they are okay. the reason i don't like them.
1) yes they smell
2) they don't live long
3) they somehow manage to escape
4) they chirp a lot
5) i go for the dubia.
6) and because crickets.
:D

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
I feed my adult bearded dragon superworms as a staple, and occasionally dust them with calcium and vitamins. In my opinion, experience and research it's not a problem for large bearded dragons. The intestinal tract is bigger and superworms are more digestible than some think.

I offer a variety of vegetables often but most times they are refused. I figure my bearded dragon knows better than me and will eat them when he needs/wants them.
Mine eats enough that I don't worry. If he ever stops eating them I will gut load the worms with better stuff.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I guess I could try the dubias again, i'm just afraid he'll get parasites again. Is there any way he could've gotten them from the dubias? What worms are better as a staple? In a few weeks i could prob get a hold of a different worm. The mealworms i only bought to give him a few each week for a little bit of something interesting and the hornworms too of course. He's never had those worms before. He's only ever had BSF larvae, waxworms (as a treat), and superworms. And then there's the dubias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom