Superworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Hi! I was told now that Hermes is 17" long and over 1 yr old he can have superworms. Are they just giant mealworms? What is the difference between a superworm and a large mealworm? Hermes got them in the stocking and now he is being stubborn and that is ALL he wants to eat (he refusing his phoenix worms right now and even his silkies that he usually dive bombs after)
he poops regularly, is starting to eat more of his greens,etc.
Anyway, how many can he have in one sitting/meal and how often should he have them? I am keeping them from him for a few days so he will start eating the other ones again.
TIA

LJean

Extreme Poster
Superworms and mealworms are different. Not sure what the difference is though.
I wouldn't let him eat too many superworms right at first. Also make sure he is well hydrated. If things are going smoothly, you can use them as a staple like any other feeder.

Calypso had trouble (pooping) when first starting on superworms. I made sure she was used to them before using as a main staple. She loves them now.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Supers are different from mealworms. All 3 of mine are in the right around 17inches as well. I have Dubia and Turks as a staple so I offer those first then I offer supers as a "dessert". They usually eat 3-8. You can use them as a staple but they are higher in fat than roaches...I agree to offer a few at a time gradually, to make sure he is digesting them properly. Good luck, mine love them!

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
thanks we cant do roaches due to asthma in the house (roach poop and roaches=asthma attacks) and crickets he has 0 interest anymore so was curious.
He is pooping normally and I only give 5-6 a day right now (or 5-6 one feeding and another 2 later in the day if he already had his regular poop)
Still curious on the difference between superworms and mealworms as the superworms look like SUPER SIZED mealworms to me.

AnitaL76

Meal worms are from "Tenebrio molitor" beatles and super worms are from "Zophobas morio" beetles. both beetles look quite similar, for the most part, but the Zhphobas are larger. Both are types of Darkling beetle :) Superworms have less chitin (hard exterior) so are easier to digest, and also have different requirements to breed/culture than mealworms. Hope that answers your question :)

STR3TCH420

Hatchling Member
hmm well im not sure about this but someone told me super worms are just really meal worms givin a grouth somthin and they dont turn into beetles...and they bite

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
My two adults absolutely love supers, and with my house's humidity/heating issues (yay winter!) I'm pretty much using those as staples. And yes, I picked up a pair of super-long tweezers so that I wouldn't have to touch those evil things, I've also heard that they bite... :bleick:

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry for the double post, but I just remembered, supers are also very cannibalistic. and can chew through alot of stuff, such as the containers you buy them from in the pet stores. I toss them in a kritter keeper for safe measures.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Superworms DO turn into beetles, I've seen them. I agree that they can bite. Supers and mealworms are not the same thing.

Here's info about mealworms:
Mealworms are the larva form of the mealworm beetle, Tenebrio molitor, a species of darkling beetle. Like all holometabolic insects, they go through four life-stages: egg, larva, pupa, and adult. Larvae typically measure about 2.5 cm or more, whereas adults are generally between 1.25 and 1.8 cm in length.

Mealworms:
GiantMealworms-1.jpg

Superworms:
Superworms.jpg

falcor33

Juvie Member
falcor is now 17+ inches and she/he is little over 7 months old!!! (is this good growth for a dragon?)

i hope she grows big, i would love to have her be a BIG beardie!!! so far she is growing fast and steadily, so i'm crossing my fingers!!!

i introduced the supers very slowly to her and she loves them. she eats mainly roaches and supers now, and i offer waxies as a treat cause she looooooves them also.

she just devours the roaches and supers, and she has absolutely no interest in crickets anymore, and if she does she only eats a few. i think crickets give her tummy problems.

i go off and on between supers and roaches. i was really grossed out by the roaches, but i think they are neat now! they are nothing like your typical house roach.

1 week of calcium dusted supers, and then the next week roaches, and falcor seems a happy dragon.

oh, i never had a superworm bite me yet, and i let them crawl all over my hands, and falcor CHOMPS on them voraciously and fast, so they would never have a chance to bite her, but i suppose like anything else, they could bite!!! there is a clear difference between mealworms and supers. they differ in color and texture, mealies shells are a lot thicker than the supers, that's a really good picture example up above! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom