Superworms with my 13inch boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
I know the rule of thumb, that you shouldn't feed a large Superworm to a Dragon thats under 15-16inches. & I usually follow all the rules. But before I new that I started giving them to my big boy whos 4months old and 13inches & quite fat. I first started giving him like 4 a day to make sure everything is okay. Now he will eat over 10 a day and have no problem and he LOVES them. I pretty much use them to save the roaches we get because I have 1dragon who wont eat anything other then lettus and roaches.
I just wanted put this up for people do know that its not ALWAYS a problem, it CAN be okay. BUT I dont advice it. If its a risk, then its a risk, and why take it if theres a chance something bad can happen. But when my dragon eats them he bends them into 3pieces and I watch him chew. I also have another 12inch dragon who I wont give her them just because shes smaller then him.
Just felt like sharing :)

Adam

Feline

I agree! Some Beardies can handle big food; some Beardies cannot. As with everything else, it's a risk. I used to feed my adult Beardie superworms from the pet store and he goes nuts for them, until I discovered this forum and that superworms/giant mealworms can cause impaction. I am wondering is it okay to feed an adult Beardie an all vegetable/fruit diet without any insects?! Beardies are insectivores but what will happen if you only feed them an all plant diet?!?!

timbuktu

I agree that theres nno hard and fast rule about foods. My little guy won't eat anything but worms right now!! He's only 8.5 inches. I monitor his poops and makr sure he is regular and he only ggets right sized ones. I also limit how much I give him too just because oof the impaction danger.
I think its all up to what u r OK with what your dragon will accept. Paired with proper husbandry I think it will be okay aslong aas its moderation!!!

Also here aare some nutrition facts:
Crix: 69% moisture, 1% ash, 21% protein, 6% fat, and 3% carbohydrate.
Mealworms 63% moisture, 19% protein, 1% ash, 14% fat, and 3% carbohydrate.
Superworms: 59% moisture, 1% ash, 19% protein, 15% fat, and 6% carbohydrate.
Roaches: 61% moisture, 2% ash, 28% protein, 6% fat, and 3% carbohydrate.

Also, its not true that they can eat their way out of the stomach. Again, not a complete definite but if it happens (rare, only read about a couple) then itsusually bbecause the animal was aalready compromised. Proper techniques as well as proper sizes will prevent this, and the animal chewing it as well as their stomach acids kill the worms.

Oh and as far as veggies only, I think that insects provide necessary proteins z d stimulation. I'm not sure what more.

I'm no expert by any means, prob can't even be considered experienced. This is just my opinion as well as hours and hours spent researching and reading. (I'm a knowledge junkie hehe)

kelii

Hatchling Member
I try and use the rules as more of a guide. My dragon stopped eating crickets reliably when he was around 13 inches and I had to find him a new source of insects. He did great on medium supers, large roach nymphs, and hornworms. When he got the 14.5-15 inches I cautiously gave him his first adult male dubia and he ate it with no issue. He's 16 inches now and he still gets them a few times a week and adult superworms daily.

The only time I had any problems feeding him something is when I tried canned crickets. They backed him up up for a couple days and I was very scared.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I been feeding my boy supers sinse he was 11inches. Which is quite small to be feeding large supers. But hes quite big, idk his exact weight but trust me when I say hes fattt. & he doesnt even eat more then my other beardys, hes just a big boy, so figured he can handle bigger food as long as I watch him chew and check his stools. If I ever see him trying swallow something full I stick my finger or tweezers right in his mouth and grab it, which it never scares him, scared me though lol but that has only happened once when he was very young. Hes a great eater, properly chews everything. Today I fed him 19large supers, and I gaurentee he will take two poops tomorrow within 4hours of being awake. Like my quote below says, its all about Trial and Error. You need to learn I have a 9inch 2month old who eats large small nymphs (the ones labled as Medium Mix sizes at WestCoastRoaches) & he does fine with them, so instead feeding him the smalls and having to give him 20 every feeding, Ill just give him 7 8 of those and be okay. And trust me I love my beardies more then anything!!!!!!! I take suchhhhh good care of them, everytime I got one I barely slept for a week cuz I kept getting up making sure there okay, I clean there tanks out weely and give them baths every other day, I do not work at the moment so there what I do for fun and I love it. Taking care of them all day long while watching the Roach Colony and there other food is great to me. Gives me responsibility.

As far as veggies. They need a 80/20 ratio. Meaning when adults they need 80% veggies and 20% live food. When there younger they need the other way around. 80live fo0d and 20veggie. You can look it up, it was literally first thing I learned with beardys. So if your dragon is year old give him mostly veggies, if hes young give him mostly live feeders. Live feeders have good nutrients esp when you gutload them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom