Superworm Care and Breeding, a Step by Step Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
diggerdrake":4bfb5 said:
navan: by time you get supers ready to feed your dragon should be big enough. the time it takes is about 4 months give or take. since it is recommended that your dragon be 16" or larger that gives you a good time frame to get them up and running. not to take away from the great post by honda but as far as the dubia go... they are easily raised and a sustaining colony takes a bit of time to get there. a little research and you will find all the info you need to have a colony going.

I think there is so much good info on this board that any novice can quickly become well versed in all aspects of beardie husbandry which much is crossed over to other herps as well. I thank all members here for the much needed info we all need from time to time.

No offense taken, i have a colony of dubia too. but there are plenty of write ups on those all over the net. HOwever, there arent so many good ones on supers. . . i would get both up and going since they both take about the same amount of time. Actually my footrest under my computer is my dubia tote.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
roaches and supers... a great combination of easily raised feeders even for the novice. and a great thanks honda for compiling great info for breeding supers. I been working on getting morphs and finally got my first beetle last night. and have 15 aliens right noy ready to turn. now I am going to start over with morphing from a new batch of worms I just got in. setting up propely I should soon have more beetles soon. my dubia are doing good as I keep them on a shelf above my uro. with heat transference from his viv and a heating pad set on low their temps stay between 90-95. yes there is plenty of good info already for raising dubia but that is real easy compared to other feeders. good that there is a good guide now for supers as it takes a little work but but still easy enough to do.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
awesome! glad i could be of some help. . this is supposed to be stickied or turned into an article or something. . . im not completely sure

Navan94

diggerdrake":dd555 said:
navan: by time you get supers ready to feed your dragon should be big enough. the time it takes is about 4 months give or take. since it is recommended that your dragon be 16" or larger that gives you a good time frame to get them up and running. not to take away from the great post by honda but as far as the dubia go... they are easily raised and a sustaining colony takes a bit of time to get there. a little research and you will find all the info you need to have a colony going.

I think there is so much good info on this board that any novice can quickly become well versed in all aspects of beardie husbandry which much is crossed over to other herps as well. I thank all members here for the much needed info we all need from time to time.
I had been reading a lot about dubia, Diggerdrake. In all honesty I thought my wife would shoot me for even suggesting it, but............... :blob5: I went shopping with my boys and brought home a tote with some screen. Of course I left it in my vehicle until I gave my sales pitch to the wife. I told her the pros to raising dubias. No climbing, no stinking, cost effective, etc.. etc... She bought it!

So I'm going to hold off on the superworm idea although this guide is amazing. Kudos hOnda! And I'll be ordering the start to my dubia colony after I get back from vacationing in Florida in 2 weeks. I'm pretty excited about it. I'll just keep ordering Phoenix worms until my colony is established. If I decide to raise another feeder I'll definitely be using supers and this thread as a reference.

Thanks for posting it, hOnda.

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
I find placing a baby carrot or two makes the oats moist = mold. :(
So I had to put my water source in a small dish.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
xXDragonPrincessXx":12dbb said:
thanx so mush for the info every other site or anything ive read did not seem clear on exactly what to do

you welcome, i tried to combine all the info i could find and also my own personal trials into 1 page.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
i suggest you start it now if you are going to attempt it. . . it takes about 3-4 months or so before they go from worm, to beetle, to egg and back to a feeder size worm again. . . if you start now, chances are by the time hes big enough you'll be good to go

Alix1378

Hatchling Member
lol my dino isnt very big. maybe 6 inchs an same as someone else said. my gf just bought my wanted to raise dubias later this summer when i get back from fort dodge so lol i dont really wanna push her buttons with "sence we're gonna have roaches can we get scaley worms too?" lol

goblinsly

Hatchling Member
My superworms are really strange i have to admit. Many ppl online said that they grow much faster then mealworms but in my case, in less then 2 months i had mealworm bettles lay eggs and already i have some full grown mealworms. In 2 months !

Superworms on the other side....i had a few small ones for more then 3 months in a bin, they didnt grow at all. I started a new and have about 60 superworm bettles in a tub right now for over a month and i only seen max 20 small worms on potato. I have another 20 pupae and 100 waiting to pupate. I hope it gets better for me. I am starting to think that my suplier adds something to them soo they dont lay that many eggs. I see them mating all the time though and i found many eggs ( i added some wood and paper with cracks on the substrate ).

Btw, from 1 egg comes 1 worm right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom